How to Build a concrete patio

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are looking to build a concrete patio. We decided on this route as we felt slabs or pavers a pain to remove weeds and possible shifting of levels and stubbed toes. We like the idea of a dyed concrete.
I got advice and a quote today and wondered if it was correct and a good price.
A minimix of concrete with fibres, apparently this stops cracks provided I cover it with plastic to stop it drying so quick.

Tamping and then trowel. I have no idea how to do this.

Adding a dye would cost £40 per metre and (although awaiting a more official price) £100 per metre for the concrete.

100mm deep concrete with 50mm hardcore below.

We are raising this up so I thought I would make a frame with 150mm wood that would stay in place and be used for screeding.

Any advice is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Good website but the pricing is just an excel calculator where I have to input the price per volume so still no idea on whether I have had a good quote or not.
Does sound that I could get away with not putting hardcore down though.

I would have thought that the default costs for labour etc he has in the spreadsheet would be a good guide.

Or try getting more quotes (often easier said than done, in my experience).

Sponsored Links
I know this isn't answering your question but I've seen some ppl create concrete driveways that they then imprint using this rubber template that creates the impression of cobblestones. I like the effect - really nice effect without the hassle. Maybe you could do this for a concrete patio?

Be really careful trying to diy a concrete patio if you have no experience working with it.

Concrete can be a difficult material to work with and very difficult to do the final surface finishing well and you only get one chance.

Pouring a concrete floor levelish for a screed is a very different kettle of fish to a patio which needs correct falls and a powerfloated finish.

If its anything more than 10 -15m sq I would seriously consider getting a pro to do it.

Do you know anyone in the trade who could help with the floating?

What is your intended finish?

I don't mean to put you off it is certainly doable just consider it carefully

I have laid screed in the house before and foundations but this is probably 20 to 30 sqr metres. I guess the minimix is the ideal solution. I will be doing all the work. Finish wise. I will just float until until close to going off then perhaps use a textured roller. Im not fully sold but the other alternative is block paving and that seems more labour intensive both the original setting then aftercare.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back