How to change a lightbulb (really)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

So the lightbulb in my bathroom finally popped, and I've spent at least an hour trying to remove the fixture so I can replace it but with zero luck.

There are no screws or clips visible anywhere.

I've tried turning the glass dome anti-clockwise (with and without upward pressure), and even clockwise but it will just keep rotating forever. Even the metal bracket on top can rotate in either direction (not sure if that means its stripped something?)

Image is attached and any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
M

Sponsored Links
Hi John,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I've had a look and there are definitely no screws or holes in the frame.

Thanks
M

This could turn out to be quite illuminating really :rolleyes:
I think the secret would likely be with the chrome ring, which would be separate from the glass orb.
Maybe it has its own quick thread, which isn't engaging well.....does it have any tight spots when you rotate it?
John :)

Sponsored Links
Are you sure it's glass, usually plastic with that design.
[You can add the pic to your post, just click on 'show my images' when posting]

Maybe sprung clips in the rim, see if you can feel them, or get a small mirror above to look behind rim.

Not very clear in the picture, but some lights like that have a lever on the side of the upper section (closest to the ceiling), which is either moved or pulled out to release several tabs inside. The lever handle is usually flat against the side of the fitting when closed.

Success!

I stuck a screwdriver between the dome and bracket and pried it open on one side. Then discovered it was being held by 2 clips.

I've posted a pic of the inside should anyone else happen to come across this post with the same problem.

Thanks for everyone's help.

M

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back