How to check if a stainless steel Wall Starter kit is in place?

BML

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm interested in buying a property with a new extension that has not been tied into the old part of the building by toothing into the existing older building. Does anything like a mobile x-ray kit exist to check if a wall starter kit was used?

Sponsored Links
Yes, they exist. They get used for some non-intrusive examination work on steel structures, security scanning, etc. I believe they cost in the region of £60k to £150k. No idea how much it would cost to have someone come out and do the job for you (I doubt you'd be allowed to just hire kit which contains radioactive materials without some form of training, but you never know), but I can't imagine it would be cheap

Probably cheaper just to get a brickie in to do the job if absolutely needs be

Last edited by a moderator:
You wouldn't use a wall starter if the new wall has been toothed in. Maybe some ties though. In anycase an extension shouldn't be toothed in to the existing anyway as the bricks/blocks/mortar may crack as the extension settles. Or are you getting your terminology a bit mixed up?

I started my bricklaying apprenticeship in 1952 so have been on the trowel for a fair length of time but am long retired. Any extension that I built obviously with correct foundations would not settle. Those x-ray costs are frightening but thanks for the information. I’ve decided to use an angle grinder to cut into the corner of the extension and cut away sufficient mortar to physically check. Don’t know why I didn’t think of it before, probably all the excitement of the Winter Olympics.

Sponsored Links
Would a metal detector work instead?

I used a Hilti one to find some rebar embedded in a large cast concrete lintel.

Just a thought.

I started my bricklaying apprenticeship in 1952 so have been on the trowel for a fair length of time but am long retired. Any extension that I built obviously with correct foundations would not settle. Those x-ray costs are frightening but thanks for the information. I’ve decided to use an angle grinder to cut into the corner of the extension and cut away sufficient mortar to physically check. Don’t know why I didn’t think of it before, probably all the excitement of the Winter Olympics.
Wow, prey tell how do you prevent ground from settling a few mm?

I've toothed in my brick work, but I'm so slow (2 years between foundations and brickwork) that I hope any settlement has already happened.

If I read correctly, guy hasn't bought the house but is cutting into it with a grinder! And in the grand scheme of buying a house, why on earth would you fixate on this?

If the foundation isn't strong enough even toothed in you'll still crack the bricks if there's movement

Any extension that I built obviously with correct foundations would not settle
Every single new foundation settles.

Then two dissimilar foundations may move differently through the seasons.

The easiest way to check if there's a wall starter is to see if there's a bloody big crack there.

Will have to ask my builder who did my single storey extension 6 years ago and toothed in, no cracks as yet in brickwork.
Well there are plenty more years for an extremely wet/dry season combi to test how flexible the blocks and bricks are.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back