How to Choose a Socket for Rachet?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a nut that I need to undo. None of my sockets are large enough, so I want to buy one that fits. To get the right size socket, do I measure the nut from side to side or from point to point?

Sponsored Links
what is the "thing" that the nut is on? About how old is it, and do you know what country it was made in?

If you know the sizes of some of the other nuts and bolts that may give clues.

metric is so easy.

Yes, Metric is for the "thick" Europeans who find multiplying or dividing by anything other than 10 impossible to comprehend. :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
SI is for sensible people.

There are only two, somewhat backward, countries in the world that don't use it.

Eh????????????????????????????? The more you have to think about something, the greater the comprehension - hopefully!

It's a nut on the scarifier of my lawn mower - holding a cog in place - needs a socket as there's no access for a spanner...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back