rad valve removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
a nice simple one for you guys,

ive been changin rad valves on my neighbours property over a period of time as tehy replaster and decorate etc.
today ive gone to the last radiator and guess what my grooved radiator alen key didnt fit, socket was to small, so went out to plumber merchants who only had a rachet wrench that may or may not ahve fitted to the tune of 35 quid and proberbly wouldnt be used again.
the nuts pretty large so would take quiet a while to saw through so has anyone got any ideas or does anyoen know if you can get old imperial sized socket keys???
thanks
terry

Sponsored Links
If your talking about the allen key to remove the rad tails they are £3 from toolstation.

remove the old valve from the pipework (don't forget to drain as reqd)
screw the vavle onto the tail.
tighten the nut onto the valve as much as you can and as you keep tightening the old tail should come out.

Or cut the nut off with a small angle grinder (4 1/2") and put a pair of grips on the tail that goes into the rad and undo.

Andy

Sponsored Links
If you were encountering more than a few you could measure the actual size and buy an allen key to fit.

But if you have an angle grinder anyway cutting the nut and using a stilson is ok for a few.

Tony

already have an allan key from when i was traingin for acs a few years back, but this valve was an original fit from far to many years gone by.
neighbour is now thinking she would like a new radiator aswell as she has hand painted them with gloss and look pretty much ***** so jobs on hold until she decides what she wants, i will make note of what you guys say and attempted what has been said if the old rad is is staying in.
thanks for all your help guys

You can get a multi purpose radiator spanner for around a tenner, fits all kinds of stuff.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back