How to Choose a Socket for Rachet?

Sponsored Links
I thought I'd clocked that part somewhere - you never know, the OP may get lucky.
Personally, I'd shock that nut off - the chances of twisting the tine shaft has to be pretty high if it hasn't been shifted for years.
John :)
How do you shock a nut off?

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I have a battery impact wrench - 1/2" drive - that takes sockets. This device gives an impact turning force that loosens tight nuts without stressing the shaft they are attached to.
If that doesn't work its out with the air wrench :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
I have a battery impact wrench - 1/2" drive - that takes sockets. This device gives an impact turning force that loosens tight nuts without stressing the shaft they are attached to.
If that doesn't work its out with the air wrench :mrgreen:
So basically, I'll give it a go without forcing it. If it requires more than a bit of force, I'll ask my 'engineery' neighbour if he can do it.

I just wondered if there was any specification concerning the part you've ordered - unless you can use the original nut, of course.

A rule I usually go by is if you determin the way the gear turns, the nut should turn the same way to undo it but steady as she goes
Edit or are you not talking of the direction of undo:)

How do you shock a nut off?

inertia

the impact driver tries to move the nut, while the shaft is standing still.

The heavier the shaft or other machinery, the better it works.

I have an old impact driver that you clout with a hammer, it has two parts with a steep thread and a weak spring.

Buy an adjustable wrench. Fits metric and imperial.

These should be banned under international health and safety law!
They change size every time you use one, they have a tendency to 'slightly' open when you are using them and give you grazed knuckles, or worse, for your troubles and the damned worm decides it's not going to turn without a great deal of effort from your finger and thumb!
I have only ever had good quality ones, (Bacho, Draper, Hilka, Wera etc even snap on), and it happens with all of them. Oh, and they also round off the nuts nicely over a period of time.

These should be banned under international health and safety law!
They change size every time you use one, they have a tendency to 'slightly' open when you are using them and give you grazed knuckles, or worse, for your troubles and the damned worm decides it's not going to turn without a great deal of effort from your finger and thumb!
I have only ever had good quality ones, (Bacho, Draper, Hilka, Wera etc even snap on), and it happens with all of them. Oh, and they also round off the nuts nicely over a period of time.
It's all in the wrist

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back