1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

How to clean a Plate Heat Exchanger

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by diyplumber1980, 25 Feb 2013.

1. diyplumber1980

diyplumber1980

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Whats the best way to clear a blocked heat exchanger? I'm not sure if i should use chemicals such as domestic descaling solution that you can buy from the supermarket, or pressure washer etc. Would chemicals damage the component?

2. Sponsored Links
  3. Whitespirit66

Whitespirit66

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I don't normally bother cleaning plate hexs, just replace, but recently when my father's Vaillant needed attention I cleaned it with excellent results. The hw performance was dire, even with hw dial on boiler on max and taps running slowly.

When I removed the hex, there were rust flakes in it and undoubtably the hw side would be scaled as well due to hard water. I attached a hose to each connection in turn and flushed.

I bought a small packet of citric acid from the chemist, and mixed it with about 1 pt of boiling water and poured into both sides of hex and left overnight. Poured away and flushed again.

Next, I mixed about 1/2 cup of water with 3/4 pt of Spirit Of Salts (from ironmongers) and poured into both sides of hex. Left for just over 10 mins. Carefully tipped out and flushed hex again.

Put it back in boiler, and it was good as new. Just make sure you wear goggles and mask with acid, especially the S O S. Mix acids in a Pyrex jug.

Some people have used sonic cleaners that you can buy (ebay), but I haven't any experience of this or how effective it is.

4. gas112

gas112

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Brick acid avialable from any builders merchants will clean it in about 15 mins then rinse thoroughly cost about 7 quid a litre

5. mazperks

mazperks

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    BE CAREFUL using brick cleaner. It is usually Hydrochloric acid based, and not reccomended even on stainless steel it will etch the surface.
    You can source Phosphoric acid on line, which is fine to use.
    DO Not use any acids on aluminium H/ exchangers.

6. denso13

denso13

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I'm sure it's fixed by now, one way or another.

7. gigz

gigz

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hope so !!! Or its been blocked for 10 month ;)

8. twgas

twgas

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Not so sure, was near birmingham the other day, there was a nasty pong :LOL: :LOL: :mrgreen:

9. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

10. Sponsored Links