How to comply with fire regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When a hole is drilled in a ceiling for downlights etc I have broken the integrity of the ceiling for fire regs, what or how do you seal aroung fitting to reinstall the fire integrity? Many thanks in anticipation.

Sponsored Links
FIRE HOODS! But only where they are nessecary!!!! Between flats, and garage ceilings!

Good advice so far. However all the fire rated fittings are a mare, this is due to heat. It is not a regulation unless the dwelling requires a fire rated ceiling. This is not general in individual houses and is a common assumption that its a must.
Many will disagree, but there is no regulation.

Sponsored Links
So when I drill the holes in the ceiling for the downlights, their is no regulation to stipulate that fire integrity must be maintained and the gaps sealed (unless it is a fire rated ceiling ).

JACKC said:
So when I drill the holes in the ceiling for the downlights, their is no regulation to stipulate that fire integrity must be maintained and the gaps sealed (unless it is a fire rated ceiling ).

That is correct, certainly as far as i am concerned. I trust this is not a flat or something of that nature. I have them all around my house. Make sure you keep any insulation a good distance from both lamp and if used transformer. The only regulation is for bathroom fittings, which is due to ip ratings within the given zones.

Thanks for all your help as always, no its not in a bathroom, its a bedroom. Loft insulation moved away and I bought some fire hoods.

Why did you buy fire hoods? Are you in a flat? You never did tell us.

Not in a flat, garage converted to bedroom and er indoors wanted old light replace with downlighters. Moved away insulation and fitted hoods in case insulation got too hot. I hope this is compliant with any regs that are for ever appearing. What is L1B?

Fire hoods do not stop DLs setting fire to things which the DLs are too close to.

They merely maintain the integrity of a fire barrier

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back