how to connect a Hive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have got hive1 and it has been wired wrong, my central heating won't turn on through the thermostat, spoke to the engineer and he said a wire needs swapping, can someone please help which wire I need to swap. Currently I turn on heating manually through the boiler itself. i have got Vaillant ecotech pro 30.
IMG_0687.JPG

Sponsored Links
I have got hive1 and it has been wired wrong, my central heating won't turn on through the thermostat, spoke to the engineer and he said a wire needs swapping, can someone please help which wire I need to swap. Currently I turn on heating manually through the boiler itself. i have got Vaillant ecotech pro 30.

Hi ak_akhan and welcome to the forum. You should really have posted your own new thread with your question. Adding your question to someone else's thread is known as 'hijacking' and is against the forum rules.

However, you should have the single channel Hive like this....

hive.JPG

And the wiring for your boiler should resemble this...

Capture.JPG

The Live and Neutral supply from a 3A fused connection should be wired directly to Live and Neutral terminals at the boiler (X1 set of terminals L and N) and also go to the Hive, Live and Neutral terminals.

Then the wire link shown between the terminals marked "24 V DC room thermostat" (X106 set of terminals) should be removed, and where it came from; one of the terminals should be connected to the Hive 1 'Common' and the other terminal connected to the Hive 3 'Heating on'. It doesn't matter which goes to which.

If getting to the wiring terminals on your particular boiler means accessing the room sealed part of it, and I suspect that it may do, then you should get your Gas safe engineer to do that bit.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks for moving my post to the right place and for the detailed reply, I am not very technical but what I understood so far is to move the grey wire from 2 to 3 on the receiver.
Can you please confirm if that’s right, just want to make sure I don’t do something which will blow my boiler.
The Engineer who installed my boiler keeps delaying to rectify his mistake and that’s why I just want to do this myself.

Yes, but only if the other ends of the wires are connected to the "24 V DC room thermostat" terminals and the original link between them removed. as per my first post. Don't assume that this is the case, as there are several different ways to link boilers and thermostats. Please check with the person that installed the wires and find out where the other ends go.

In any case there shouldn't be a wire connected to the Hive Terminal 2 'Heating off' If a professional did that he's incompetent that is a basic error. Fortunately it won't have damaged the boiler or the Hive, it just won't work.
The Engineer who installed my boiler keeps delaying to rectify his mistake and that’s why I just want to do this myself.

I think there may well be a legal issue if that's the case. Tell him you will contact trading standards and Gas Safe.

Indeed, as not many electricians are gas safe registered, it makes things a bit tricky.
Thanks for your help, it was a gas safe engineer who installed my boiler, I called him many times and he keeps making excuses, been a month now. That’s why I want to sort this myself now. Will update you how it goes.

Tried just swapping the thermostat wire and it started working, thanks for your help Stem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back