how to cut holes in a tile

M

marsaday

I am tiling in travertine and have come to my wall mounted tap.

I need to cut a 20x10cm tile in two places to get the tap to fit.

They are circular holes, 4cm in diameter and 6cm in diameter.

how do i cut these holes out. i have tried stich drilling, but i cant even do one hole.

i have a table cutter, but not sure if i can use this for this job.

Alternatley i am going to have to make some ugly cuts.

Sponsored Links
You need diamond drills. Hire or buy.

i use core drills, first i get a scrap bit of wood and cut that out, then having done that i mark the tile up and place my bit of wood on top, with both flat on the floor i hold them in place with my foot and carefully proceed to cut the tile using the wood to stop the drill skating.

Sponsored Links
That would be fine. Keep the work wet and if possible use a pillar drill.

In theory you could use this technique for any brittle stonework, such as a pan or indeed a sheet of glass? The trick seems to be to get the supporting hammer in exactly the right place to limit shock waves to spread? Might have a play around with this tomorrow in the garage. Could be a whole new hobby for me :LOL:

In theory you could use this technique for any brittle stonework, such as a pan or indeed a sheet of glass? The trick seems to be to get the supporting hammer in exactly the right place to limit shock waves to spread? Might have a play around with this tomorrow in the garage. Could be a whole new hobby for me :LOL:

the trick is how to postion/pressure the claw hammer between your knees,then using the pin hammer and position your fingers under the tile...tap away....we used to use heavy hammers years ago,but i found using a claw hammer alot quicker.....

if you look thro u-tube there is a guy that uses an angle grinder(which i do also) we cut the same size of hole....in my video, the first hole i cut is done just has quick....enjoy your time in the garage....

Probably an obvious question, but do you always tap away on the glazed side?

Probably an obvious question, but do you always tap away on the glazed side?

yes...

for quarry tiles, you will use a scribe (years ago)...score the front off the quarry tile 3-6 times on the face of it...then turn it over and give it a tap with the pin hammer....and hey presto a perfect cut.... ;)

everyday is a school day...... ;)

What about glass? How on earth do they manage to cut holes in it?

if you look thro u-tube there is a guy that uses an angle grinder(which i do also) we cut the same size of hole....in my video, the first hole i cut is done just has quick....enjoy your time in the garage....

Why would anyone with a wet diamond tile saw use an angle grinder for anything other than curved cuts? This week I needed to cut a 100mm by 200mm hole in a 300mmx300mm marble tile, I just took the blade cover off and lowered the tile down and cut from the underside.

Far cleaner and safer than an angle grinder.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back