How to cut in a straight line with a jigsaw?

OM2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In a past post some of you guys said when it came to thicker than 1cm - FORGET it... a jigsaw just wont do it.

OK... so I found out this is indeed true trying to cut chipboard less than 1cm thick - some Ikea furniture.

There MUST be a way surely?
I looked on yourtube... not much there to inpsire.
I did see some get a long metal piece.
So I tried with my spirit level - clamped down. It was kinda OK... it was hard keeping the saw pushed up against the metal.

I thought... how about having 2 sides? i.e. have 2 metal strips clamped down - the exact width of the saw metal bit.
Not ideal for everything - but I was guess OK for a lot of things?

Would this work?
I looked around and couldn't find anything for sale online.

Would be good to hear what solutions there are.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
A jigsaw blade does tend to wander, even if you have a guide
I'd look for a cheap saw - or plunge saw from either aldi or lidl or possibly screwfix

I'm sure this has been gone through at length before.. You won't get a particularly straight perpendicular cut with a jigsaw in anything but thin materials regardless of what you do. That's it I'm saying no more.

Sponsored Links
I used a Dremel version of this recently and it was excellent, not as frightening as a full circular saw!.

ae235.jpg

Use a handsaw.

If you attempt to guide a jigsaw with a straight edge, the body of the saw will go in a straight line but the blade will still wander and might actually get bent or jam up (I’ve discovered this myself).

If you’re determined to try, experiment with different blades; a sharp “clean cut” blade may be better than a “fast but rough” one. Then draw your straight line and cut freehand, pausing every few cm to check the direction and correct as necessary.

The clue is in the name ''Jigsaw'', its intended for cutting everything but straight lines.

i used a bosch 10.8/12v jigsaw to cut a 35mm thick piece off oak i cut out a 15x40mm at the corner the offcut was 100% square and clean look like it had been machined to a finish
was this skill ---------no it was done fully by eye freehand no lines just 2 pencil marks whilst i am good with a jigsaw i would never expect to be as accurate by trying :D
when using a jigsaw never use a strait edge
ignore the machine body and watch the blade
often the body will be be off to one side it doesnt matter just watch the blade

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back