How to cut these floor tiles without any special tools?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I've just picked up some old floor tiles and need to cut them down to smaller sizes. They are going to be used in the garden beneath squashes, to keep them off the wet soil, so the cut does not need to be perfect in any way whatsoever. I just need to make them smaller.

I thought I might be able to score them and then break them. I just tried that and it just broke into lots of pieces. Perhaps they cannot be cut like that? Or - FAR MORE LIKELY - I am too novice to have done it properly!

So I wondered if anyone could please explain whether it can be done and if so how?

Many thanks

Max

Sponsored Links
Oops! Just realised I didn't add photos!

image1.JPG

image2.JPG

If you've got an angle grinder, then you could use a diamond cutting blade. You need to take the guard off, and use goggles, but you can then place a piece of wood along the line to be cut, and then run the angle grinder along the edge of the wood.

Don't take the guard off. You may end up cutting more than tiles.

Sponsored Links
Travertine , have to be cut as they are honeycomb construction which is too fragile to break, as mentioned above , cut easily with a grinder.

Don't take the guard off. You may end up cutting more than tiles.

You're possibly right on reflection Dave, as those tiles are thin. I'm cutting paving slabs at the minute, and have to have the guard off to get through them. It's easier to see what you're doing at times without it, but maybe it wasn't such good advice.

Just mark with pencil line and cut with 4" grinder, nothing special required.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back