How to deal with this - incorrect downlighter install

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Been helping a friend with a load of DIY - and got to the bathroom lighting. Since this is notifiable, he's employed a local to install the lighting (and lit mirror) and ceiling cladding. He sent me some photos and as I rather expected he's not done anything to keep the insulation off the top of the lights. They are 10W LED and the MIs specifically require (first thing I looked for) 50mm clearance above and 75mm around them.

I was quite expecting this since the guy suggested some Haler fittings that are fireproof and so easy to fit :rolleyes: They are also IP65 so shouldn't be a gaping hole to allow moisture through.

Now, on one shoulder the voice is saying something like "ignore it, your mate gets his completion certificate and you can easily fix it". However, on the other shoulder the voice is saying "but you really shouldn't be letting him get away with". I'm also mindful of the fact that I tend to be more than a tad prone to turning a simple discussion into an argument :rolleyes:

Looking at the photos, he does seem to have done a nice tidy job with the cladding and lights, and my mate is hoping to use him for the kitchen as well.

Thoughts anyone ? Apart from the selection of downlighters which I did try to talk him out of.

Sponsored Links
Hmm, that might be because I didn't post any. TBH, there's not a lot to see - the ones of the ceiling cladding just show an expanse of white and would have very little detail by the time they were reduced to a size suitable for here.

Anyway, here's some of the lights. First inside the bathroom

And then in the loft. The insulation (200mm of glass fibre) is still to be replaced.

I think I've got the right fittings, the installation instructions are here.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back