How to drill

No more nails was mentioned earlier. This does take 24 hours to go off. I have used 5 min Araldite as it sets the Rawplug solid whilst one makes a cuppa.

Sponsored Links
good idea for speed of setting but more expensive

I was doing a bunch of them, so once I had the gun out it was quick and easy, and very cheap, and was hard by morining. I got good results using the cheapo rubbishy version from the Pound Shop.

Not in that age of house its not.

i'm in one of very similar age & construction, ordinary drills are just a waste of time, the SDS makes it a lot easier.

I'd agree - I'm in a similar age house - I find that whenever I've been lazy and use the hammer drill I end up with a hole that's too large due to having to lean in to the drill too much etc. - when I use the SDS I never have that problem - and I'm using decent drill bits with both.

Mind you when we're talking SDS then it could be a cheapy job from screwfix/b&Q for this - I don't hink we're suggesting investing in a bosch blue etc.

Very technical guys! Eeeek! Could someone tell me what an SDS drill is and how it differs from just an ordinary one like mine please? Mine's just a cheapie from B & Q, which replaced the Black and Decker my Hubby burnt out trying to drill a hole in the wall whilst the thing was in reverse! lol (He's now sticking to the things he's really good at .... like everything EXCEPT diy.)

By the way ... update ... I've put up a shelf and it's still up! I even used a level (horizontally to get the shelf straight and vertically on the brackets to get them straight too) I just amazing myself! Keep the tips coming please, they're giving the confidence I never had before. Many thanks to all who have replied.

Kaydee x

Sponsored Links
My house was built about 1900. Stone to the front, very hard non-porous bricks to the back with a mixture of newish and very old plaster inside. Everywhere is very hard to drill and I have to use the hammerdrill always. I have to really lean into the wall with the drill and this often means that the holes end up bigger than I need. So .... I've decided to always use a smaller drill bit than I need.
All of this says to me that you need an SDS+ drill.

You needn't spend a fortune, but the more you spend the easier life will be and the longer the drill will last.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back