drilling brick - need better drill

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

I have a (probably cheap) cordless drill, which is absolutely hopeless at drilling into brick - I've been trying to put a hanging basket bracket up, and also want to put some shelves up in the outbuilding/shed. Could anyone recommend a decent but low priced drill that would do the job? - Have seen quite a few, but not sure what I need and how much I should spend on one.

thank you :)

Sponsored Links
Although I generally avoid Wickes, you could do a lot worse than buy one of their budget range SDS drills (aka SDS+).

Whatever you do, concentrate on getting SDS - you won't regret it.

I wouldn't bother with cordless, unless you really really want to be able to drill one handed, up a ladder, a long way from any power, outside in the rain.

PS Did I mention that SDS is an important feature?

whats SDS? lol

I don't think I want another cordless one... it gets irritating having to wait for it to charge, or it running out of power on me... grr.

thanx :)

Sponsored Links
An SDS drill shouldn't be your first or main drill.

Original source //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=57426]here

I agree because for your requirements, you can quite simply get the job done by using a cordless drill (which you already have) with the right drill bits with still the same ease and ability :). You're probably using worn bits. Trust me, I was in the same position last week ;). I was drilling into brick with a 'Bosch Cordless Drill Driver 12V' using very blunt bits. I was thinking about buying a hammer drill but, realised that I'd still need to buy bits for it separately, so I bought the bits first to test them out. I would advise you to do the same if you wish before buying an expensive drill.

You need this:

7000027A65UC281511M.jpg

http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wc...001&langId=-1&catalogId=4551&productId=255608

For £21 inc. delivery, I think this is a great bargain. Irwin are very expensive. By the way, I do own that set above and can tell you that with my Bosch Cordless Drill Driver using the bits in the set, I managed to drill into brick without any difficulty :). The case alone is worth £20. Very heavy duty stuff there ;).

But, if you want to upgrade and get a more powerful drill, please do this. Make sure that the drill bits come with it though.

Oh and SDS stands for 'Special Direct System' :).

Hope this was of some help to you :).

hi

thanx for the advice folks :)

The link to the SDS explanation page was very useful - helped me figure out what features I want.

Btw - the drill bit i was using was brand new, and I was even using the smallest one to start with.

I've decided I should spend a bit more and go with Bosch PBH 2200 RE SDS Rotary Hammer and Chiselling Machine 89.99 from Argos:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produ....DIY+power+tools>C$cip=36669.Power+drills.htm

I've read the 1 (positive) review on Amazon about this drill, but do any of you have any more information on this one? - and bad things about it?

thank you :)

just a thought!!!!

you are using masonary bits with the little wings at [often tipped with red ] the end like the single drill shown in johnd,s post!!!!

also on maximum speed and hammer action if you have it

Hi

The bit I was using was masonry with the red tip, current cordless drill has little power (even after charging all night) and no hammer action on it.

thanx

current cordless drill has little power (even after charging all night) and no hammer action on it
very much a large part of your problem !
A decent cordless would do you fine - with a couple of batteries and a fast charger, but of course the cost would be more than the bosch from argos - which will do the job just fine for you. Please do yourself a favour and dont buy cheapo drill bits.
Whats the voltage of your cordless? the fact it doesnt have hammer would indicate that its a low voltage one really for use as a screwdriver.

Please do yourself a favour and dont buy cheapo drill bits.

You mean like the cheapo set I bought? :LOL: What if they work and do the job though?:cool:

hi

whats in that bit drill set thing? i was looking at it on the website but it didnt show a contents list or any descriptions - pic too small to see really as well. i'm going to see how i get on with the new drill and what comes with it, then maybe i will buy that set i think :)

Hi diykat,

I agree that the picture is too small and that there isn't much of a description on the website. I can take you some pictures of my set to show you what is included if you like :). I guess I bought mine blindfolded (as in I had to hope what I was ordering was what I wanted because there wasn't a description.)

I can get pictures, but please bear with me ;). I'll try and get them within the next few days. I'll save this thread to my favourites so I don't forget.

I'll tell you what though, I'm glad someone is interested in the set. I thought I was the only one :D.

Tozzy, you are obviously pleased with your set of drills. I kept out of the other discussion as it looked like it may turn into a bit of an argument.
I think the point is that usually large sets of drills such as the one you purchased are usually crap to say the least, I havnt tried or seen the set you have so I wont comment on its quality, but I will say I usually pay between £3 and £30 per bit (SDS masonry) and as another example, I pay about £1.50 for what I call a "standard" 5mm hss bit. The last purchase I made (excluding the ones from Scrit) was just short of £20 for a set like this (but metric - cant find a pic) andandhttp://www.dewalt.com//Produc...hotos/DEWALT/ACCESSORIES/LARGE/1/DW1169_1.jpg
As I said, I wont comment on this particular set, but I have seen and used similar sets in the past - then I buy a real bit and have the right sized hole rather than a hole thats just that bit big, I can drill the hole in half the time, and my bit is still as sharp as the day I bought it.
My honest opinion is to buy the bosch you are looking at or a similar model, and if its just the few holes you need to drill for your hanging baskets and shelves, then buy yourself one decent quality bit of 5.5/6mm or 7mm depending on the plugs for about about fiver if that - and spend the rest on beer and fags.

yay i got my new drill :D drills the holes in seconds!

one thing i did notice bout it though... bit worried bout is that is seems to flash electric lookin bluish colour inside when im usin it - it this normal n safe? thanx

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back