How to drill

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My hubby should come on this site! I encourage, persuade and attempt to exercise all my feminine wiles, all to no avail. He is simply not interested.

Hence, I end up with the DIY jobs!

Can someone please recommend a good website which could take me through the simple steps of drilling walls, fixing rawlplugs and screws?

I just can't seem to get it right - no matter how hard I try. The thing always seems to come off the wall - coat hooks; hanging basket brackets; shelves - you name it!

The worst thing of all is .... I really, really want to show him I can do it!

Please help!

Many thanks
Kaydee

Sponsored Links
You have already arrived on the perfect site for tips on most DIY jobs.

Are you using masonry drill bits and drilling bricks ?.

Maybe you are using too small Rawlplug for that massive shelf ?.

Does the plaster crumble to dust in your walls ?.

More info needed Kaydee.

Al

the screw has to take the weight into the brickwork. Plaster has almost no strength.

In my house the plaster/render is about 18mm thick, so the first 18mm of the screw and plug length are no use, plus whatever length of screw is inside the article I am fixing. So I mostly use 50mm screws. the hole must be deep enough that the screw will not reach the bottom

If you have an old house, the plaster may be very thick or the bricks very soft.

Personally I use brown plugs, which are plenty big enough for most jobs, but opinions differ. I have not got one in my hand but they are about 35mm long. I drive them below the surface of the plaster slightly (this reduces risk of plaster cracking) by putting a screw into the hole and tapping it lightly with a smallish hammer. You can then withdraw the screw by loosening it with a screwdriver and the plug should be tight in place.

If you use an excessively small drill in a good firm brick, it may be impossible to drive a screw into the plug as it will be too tight.

A couple of 50mm x 4mm screws, into tight-fitting brown plugs, will hold a wall cabinet full of kitchen stuff, which is pretty heavy. For something light, like a picture or a wall clock, you could use smaller.

The screws and plugs you get free with "things" are usually too small.

Depending on how crumbly your walls are, the drill that (according to the sample on the wallplug strip) ought to fit, might make a loose hole. If you have a set of masonry drills, try the next smaller size and make a note of the size that fits, for the future. Clear the hole of dust (which has no strength) after drilling, either with the vac cleaner snout, or blowing, or by squirting into it with your houseplant mister (this makes dirty water run down the wall though)

However: A tip I found on here which is amazingly helpful if you have crumbly walls and loose plugs:

Drill and clean the hole

Put in the plug and discover that it is loose.

Take a tube of "NoMoreNails" or similar with a long nozzle on it.

Push the nozzle deep into the hole and squeeze as you withdraw it, so the hole is filled from the bottom and does not have a bubble of air at the end

You now have a hole of suitable depth, filled with NoMoreNails.

Poke your plastic wallplug into the hole, so that the outer end is slightly below the surface of the plaster, and wipe off the excess with a damp sponge (with practice, you will learn to stop squeezing before you fully withdraw the nozzle, so that you waste less) the plug is now completely encased in NoMoreNails and there is no air gap.

(You may find it easier to push the plug in if you insert a screw into the plug and give it a turn or two, then you can use the screw as a handle and it prevents you losing the hole in the plug under excess NoMoreNails

If the plug was really loose, leave it overnight to harden. If it was a good enough fit not to spin in the hole, you can now fix your bracket or whatever and drive in the screw without leaving it to set. If the plug starts to turn, stop screwing and leave it overnight to set.

The tip was posted by gazza2 on this site not long ago. I have seen professional injection kits using resins that are more expensive

I have been DIYing since long before you were born, and have only recently heard this successful this way of dealing with loose wallplugs. I know no other way that works as well.

i do, its the traditional way of chocking the hole full of timber!

Sponsored Links
you mean a slanty wedge in a perp joint? too big and too much work

or you mean a collection of twigs and toothpicks?

the NoMoreNails/Plasplug combo is terrific.

If I have too big a hole I drill a bit more and slam in another wall plug. Drive in the long screw, job done. Never had to use the nomorenails option but may come in handy one day so cheers! Matchsticks were lifesavers in my old DIY days :LOL:

Thanks Guys.

Unfortuntely, just like my Hubby, my Dad was no good at DIY either. Hence having no good teacher I'm shooting in the dark here. Instead of a drill maybe I should have a light-sabre?

My house was built about 1900. Stone to the front, very hard non-porous bricks to the back with a mixture of newish and very old plaster inside. Everywhere is very hard to drill and I have to use the hammerdrill always. I have to really lean into the wall with the drill and this often means that the holes end up bigger than I need. So .... I've decided to always use a smaller drill bit than I need.

I have some masonry bits, wood boring bits and some H99 bits - can anyone tell me what H99 bits are used for?

Your tips are fab - thanks, epseically about the nomorenails. I had some of that in the shed - I tried it and the coat hook is still up on the wall! No-one in the house dare breathe tho, for fear it will come down again. Lol.

I've also surprised myself by putting up two, yes two! batons and fitted two venetian blinds. Wow! I even did some countersinking .... I must be getting good at this!

My next task is to re-do the new hanging basket bracket. The basket is pretty heavy and I've bought some heavy duty rawlplugs hoping they will do the trick. I've taken the tip about using longer screws too. The holes were already there in the wall and I don't think it helped that the holes in the bracket didnt fully line up with the holes in the wall. I've since bent the bracket a little with a hammer so that I can line them up properly.

Wish me luck guys! and Grrrrr JohnD ..... so if DIY is women's work, does that mean my Hubby must do the shopping, washing, ironing, cleaning etc? lol

Thanks for the tips and if you can think of any more I'd be very pleased to hear them.

Kaydee x

you mean a slanty wedge in a perp joint? too big and too much work

or you mean a collection of twigs and toothpicks?

the NoMoreNails/Plasplug combo is terrific.

not decrying that method at all john, but is another way of doing it. As for it being too much work, it is probably just as quick, if not quicker, or are you getting lazy in your old age! :LOL:

shopping, washing, ironing, cleaning etc

also woman's work :)

H99, look closely and you might find it's HSS. Ideal for drilling in metal and can also be used in timber. Do NOT use on brick/masonry.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Girls that make references to Star Wars are cool. Period.

Thanks Deluks - Doh! H99! - yep you were right, it is HSS - thanks so much for your help.
Kaydee x

Hi, Kaydee, get yourself a good SDS drill and bits to suit the size of the wall plugs you are using. This type of drill will do all the work you want to when drilling brick etc. with ease. When you buy wall plugs they usually give you an indication of the drill size you would need for each size plug. If you want any more answers, contact me and I will try to help. Al.

Not in that age of house its not.

i'm in one of very similar age & construction, ordinary drills are just a waste of time, the SDS makes it a lot easier.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back