How to extend microwave cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All.

As the subject line says, I wish to extend the cable for a (1000W) microwave whose rated voltage is 230-240 V 50 Hz and input power is Max 2390 W (whatever that means). The instruction manual cautions against using an extension lead, stating that the microwave must be plugged directly into the wall (for whatever reason).

The cable only requires extending by about 12 inches. Do I simply need to cut the existing moulded plug off (yes, I know that voids any warranty), get a kettle lead and cut one end off and attach both cables to an in line cable connector?

If yes, then could anyone recommend any specific connector and lead that would be reliable, safe and legal for the above purpose? Would any kettle lead supplied with computers be suitable along with the connector in the link below or do they need to meet some particular specification?

http://www.diy-spares.com/cgi-bin/p...electrical+fldelectricalsockets+fldconnectors

Would it make any difference if the cable is cut nearer to the microwave and a longer cable is attached (which would be more than 12 inches) so that the cable connector can be hidden behind the microwave?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
The instruction manual cautions against using an extension lead, stating that the microwave must be plugged directly into the wall (for whatever reason).
Just H+S caution i suspect - no electrical reason.
The cable only requires extending by about 12 inches. Do I simply need to cut the existing moulded plug off (yes, I know that voids any warranty), get a kettle lead and cut one end off and attach both cables to an in line cable connector?
I don't see why not.
If yes, then could anyone recommend any specific connector and lead that would be reliable, safe and legal for the above purpose? Would any kettle lead supplied with computers be suitable along with the connector in the link below or do they need to meet some particular specification?
Computer leads and such may be too small and won't have an earth wire.
An actual 'kettle' lead would do - you need at least 1mm² three core flex and 13A fuse in the plug.
http://www.diy-spares.com/cgi-bin/product.pl?PID=592008&query=fldelectrical+fldelectricalsockets+fldconnectors
That would be alright, BUT make sure you connect the prongs (male) to the microwave and the socket part (female) to the plug.
Would it make any difference if the cable is cut nearer to the microwave and a longer cable is attached (which would be more than 12 inches) so that the cable connector can be hidden behind the microwave?
I think that would be better.

Edit - When wiring the connector put the earth in the middle and make sure you put the live and neutral in the same side on both parts as the connector will only connect one way round

Do I simply need to cut the existing moulded plug off (yes, I know that voids any warranty),
No it doesn't.

get a kettle lead and cut one end off and attach both cables to an in line cable connector?

If yes, then could anyone recommend any specific connector and lead that would be reliable, safe and legal for the above purpose? Would any kettle lead supplied with computers be suitable
Are you really unaware that you can actually buy flexible cable, and plugs, and that you don't need to butcher leads as you describe?

If you must extend with a connector as you plan then at least do it by buying a length of flex and a plug, but really you should look into the option of replacing the existing cable with a longer one.

Thanks for the helpful replies.

EFLImpudence, so using an extension lead would not cause any harm to the microwave or be dangerous?

you need at least 1mm² three core flex

I would be happy to get flex that is better than just meeting the 'minimum' requirement, so feel free to suggest anything you feel would be better/safer in anyway.

make sure you connect the prongs (male) to the microwave and the socket part (female) to the plug

Do they have male and female prongs inside this type of connector?

ban-all-sheds, so even if there's nothing wrong with the existing plug, it won't void the warranty? Are you 100% sure as I was planning on waiting until the warranty ran out before cutting off the plug.

Are you really unaware that you can actually buy flexible cable, and plugs?

Won't that cost LOTS to have done? Speaking of which, with the changes in electrical laws, do you have to get a qualified electrician to extend the lead if using the cable connector method?

Thanks again to both of you for taking the time to reply. I really appreciate it!

Sponsored Links
Are you really unaware that you can actually buy flexible cable, and plugs, and that you don't need to butcher leads as you describe?

but if he butchers a lead with the right spec wire and moulded plug he only has to wire a connector, one less thing to go wrong?

Would any kettle lead supplied with computers be suitable along with the connector in the link below or do they need to meet some particular specification?
Computer leads and such may be too small and won't have an earth wire.

Only 'figure-of-8' (IEC C7) leads that may come with a laptop PSU would be too small and be missing the earth wire.
"Any kettle lead supplied with computers", as the OP says, should be OK, as I would take this to mean a BS 1363 to IEC C13 lead.

http://www.diy-spares.com/cgi-bin/product.pl?PID=592008&query=fldelectrical+fldelectricalsockets+fldconnectors
That would be alright, BUT make sure you connect the prongs (male) to the microwave and the socket part (female) to the plug.

If you look at the link properly, you'll see this is a cable joiner, not a plug and socket pair. You're imagining it's one of these:
http://www.diy-spares.com/cgi-bin/p...ed connector&path=185197:351586,358582,358588

Do they have male and female prongs inside this type of connector?

No. See above.

But if you've got those leads spare, it makes it an easier job.

you sure?

just grabbed the one out of my monitor and it's 0.75mm

Fair enough.
As the OP's microwave specifies that it could draw upto ~ 10A, then the 'kettle lead' would need to be 1mm ².
Pretty much all the ones I come across these days are at least 1mm ² .

Thanks for the replies, SteNova/Grizzly/ricicle.

So what I need is:-

1) One of these.

2) Some of this.

3) One of these.

4) One of these to assist the stupid people who make appliances with cords that only allow them to be situated 2.5mm away from a wall socket!

Think I need to get down to wilkinsons!

Thanks for the help everyone, really appreciate it all.

Hi again.

Been to Wilkinson's but the cable they had (see link below) was 10A and not 13A. I assume that the answer to my question of whether this would be suitable for the microwave will be a 'yes' but due to it being an electrical matter, I am asking here just to make 100% sure.

They also have 1.5mm (15 or 16 amp, can't remember which) cable. Would this be better to use than the 1.0mm 10 amp cable or not? In either case, do I still use a 13 amp fuse for the plug and a 13 amp cable connector?

They didn't have any cable connectors, so I'll probably get that from the web.

Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back