How to extract Downlight housing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I have these down lights in the ceiling (not this exact brand but very similar):

https://www.edwardes.co.uk/products...P7hDnT29Fyh_nABQ0YoOOKRZerGg0R1caAo00EALw_wcB

and I need to replace the MR16 wire.

I can’t seem to find a way to safely extract the Dow light from the ceiling without damaging the wall. I understand it has those two spring clips on the sides but the ceiling hole is too tight for me to reach them and push them inside.

Am I missing something ? Surely this has been thought through and I’m just being very novice about it ?

Sponsored Links
Normally you can grip it enough to then get your fingers around it and gently pull down and squeeze both springs so they don't damage the ceiling plasterboard as you pull it down.

Sadly that doesn’t seem the case with mine, I’ve uploaded an image to show how narrow the gap is.

Attachments

• 9984B831-3FB0-4C57-8E9E-2D64D0D8B260.jpeg
    9984B831-3FB0-4C57-8E9E-2D64D0D8B260.jpeg
    160.1 KB · Views: 201
I can't see any springs like the link you posted of the Enlite, are you sure it's the same type of mechanism?

Sponsored Links
Yes I’m sure they’re just deep inside.

move already replaced a few and each time I had to pull it out so it damages the wall slightly then when I can get a grip on the springs I push them to minimise the damage. I’ve just had enough of that method so thought I might be missing something and there’s a better way of doing that.

Apply more force. It was installed from below, so that's the only way it can be removed.

The wire has failed because the wrong type of lamp is fitted.
If you must use a halogen lamp, it needs to have an aluminium reflector, not a dichroic one.

I can apply more force and it’ll come out but also knock chips of the wall with it and I’ll have to re decorate.
Been there done that....

Do you have a picture of your exact ones? Some of them have a gap in the middle of the spring so if you push the spring into the middle it drops off.

These may be the ones with the fixed arms on that do not spring up and down and I think from memory they can be very fiddly and you have to get them in correct position then rotate them, some can be a real pain. I take it your trying to convert them to GU10.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back