How to fill a 60cm trench that was dug for an electric cable

Reaction score
Country
Germany
I've dug a trench for a 5 phase electricity cable from the house to the garage.

I haven't yet asked the electrician now I should fill the trench, but I'd like to get some suggestions here first...

Sponsored Links
5 phase?

Sand, tape, then the soil you removed.
No. The warning tape myst be some distance above the SWA, that means a digger is warned of the cable before it gets hit.
Guidance diagram.
7542EC7B-241C-40B3-AD6A-C7420B8D4530.jpeg
7542EC7B-241C-40B3-AD6A-C7420B8D4530.jpeg

Sponsored Links
No. The warning tape myst be some distance above the SWA, that means a digger is warned of the cable before it gets hit.
Guidance diagram.
Indeed, but although I'm surprised to find myself defending him again, did not his "Sand, tape, then the soil you removed" say just that (exactly per the diagrams you posted) - the 'sand' being what creates that "some distance" between SWA and tape?

Kind Regards, john

The diagram shows.
Sand first then cable then more sand then tape then backfill.

Winnie’s sequence gives no margin between cable and tape. Hence my comment.

The diagram shows. Sand first then cable then more sand then tape then backfill. Winnie’s sequence gives no margin between cable and tape. Hence my comment.
You are 'assuming'(and we all know about that!). You may, of course, be right, but I took him to be referring to what should go above the SWA (regardless of what was beneath it), in which case the sand mentioned would provide that 'margin'. However, as I've said, it all depends on what one 'assumes'.

Kind Regards, John

You would be amazed at what depth a local DNO buries cables in some "Garden" situations.

I saw a bloke with a pick-axe cause a zsflutter whoosh and a column of steam (actually it was water vapour) , quite a noise.
He didn`t know I`d seen it. He scratched his head for a few mins then was about to carry on till I suggested he call the DNO, he thought it had "fixed" itself but I told him that once it had all cooled down it would probably do the whoosh thingy again.
As I was about to leave the DNO van drove in.

Last edited:
You would be amazed at what depth a local DNO buries cables in some "Garden" situations
The new connection to my cottage installed in 2011

New Electric Supply.jpg

The top of the street cable is approx 400 mm below ground level. It is under a grass verge that is often driven over .

Our house sits directly on a rock shelf, the cable from the dno was terminated at the roadside in a services pillar and they left us to do the 60m to the house, apparently some steel conduit bolted along a wall is just fine and dandy..... its amazing how many times should is confused with must and the amount of times where practicable or unless another arrangement can be justified crop up.

Bernard, Yours looks a quite respectable distance, the one I mentioned was less than the pick on a pickaxe length, an accident waiting to happen , so to speak. I`m sure there must be millions like this and most of them go unoticed for life but we all know that if it can happen then eventually it will happen, sometimes. I this case it did happen and was quite eventful but would have been more eventful if it kept happening in say one hour or one day intervals.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back