how to fill behind a socket box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One of my sockets in an old house I have was shaky and I tried to secure today. the back box to the socket was not secured to the wall and upon removing it I see why.

There is a very large void behind the box probably about 70mm and a 35mm box sitting in it. is it ok to secure with a piece of wood behind it. I have fastened a piece of wood to the wall and the back metal box to the wood which now has the box secure and flat to the surface of the wall.

If i now connect the socket up it sits very secure and flush. I have not yet connected it as I am unsure if it is ok to use wood behind the metal socket box. The cable is well insulated and earthed.

Is there any risk to using wood to secure like this?

Sponsored Links
No that's fine.

Think lath walls (wood) and even simple stud walls (wood),

If the wall had been plaster board, you could have used a simple dry liner box and there would have been no need to pack out behind the box.

That all sounds OK.

That's just how it was done before these came along:-
MTMDLB4.JPG

They have projecting lugs to secure themselves to plasterboard.

Don't forget the earth sleeving, and the grommet in the cable entry.

Sponsored Links
That all sounds OK.

That's just how it was done before these came along:-
MTMDLB4.JPG

They have projecting lugs to secure themselves to plasterboard.

Don't forget the earth sleeving, and the grommet in the cable entry.

And it is how it is still done at first fix if you are a pro spark!

Dry liners are great for additions etc, but are not a replacement for the metal box IMO. If you are fist fixing, there is little excuse not to fit a noggin and a metal box.

You've also been doing odd things with your right hand. Your thumb is longer on that hand. And more curvy. :eek: ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back