Socket back box / Pattress required?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Edit> spell check on my phone has changed pattress to mattress in the title and I can't edit that

I have a wall hanging headboard behind a divan. There is a socket on the wall behind the headboard.

If I wanted to fit socket in the headboard and run it from the wall socket, I can screw the socket face on to the headboard securely. The question is do I need to fit a back box behind the socket i.e behind the headboard?

Sponsored Links
Yes, the back of the socket or any other electrical item must be fully enclosed in non-flammable material.

Back boxes were made of wood, so likely you don't need a propriety made back box, however you will need something which ensures no assess without using a tool or key, and likely you will need a fused connection unit (FCU) where the cable leaves the wall to swap from twin & earth to flex and to hold the cable firmly, and to fuse down what it can deliver, so may be better looking at extension leads which can be fixed to bed.

Personally I use a remote controlled socket behind the bed, and use a remote to switch on bed side lights.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back