How to fill gaps and cracks - please help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I have recently moved houses and need to fill in gaps to prevent bugs entering the house. I am not a DIY person, but will be doing lots of research to gain more knowledge. While I was googling, I came across DIYnot and decided to create a post.

I have attached photos. There is the gas meter, electricity meter and the consumer unit. I came a cross expanding foams but wasn't sure if it was suitable for the job. Any guidance will help a lot.

Attachments

• photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 72
  • photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 75
  • photo3.jpg
    photo3.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 90
  • photo4.jpg
    photo4.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 72
  • photo5.jpg
    photo5.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 75
  • photo6.jpg
    photo6.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 80
Sponsored Links
Expanding foams are great for these areas......however, the area needs to be damped first, ideally - so watch what you are doing!
John :)

Filling gaps will have little effect on bugs entering the home.

I agree, but I still would like to get the gaps filled then I can at least say I've tried. Every little helps.

Sponsored Links
Expanding foams are great for these areas......however, the area needs to be damped first, ideally - so watch what you are doing!
John :)

Thanks. I am just worried the cables might get damaged by the expanding foam. I've read contradicting information when googling. A friend of mine suggested I should hire someone and get it done properly. I am going to research more and I have a feeling I can DIY it. If it was just a crack in a wall outside it would have been easier, but the cables, the meters, the gas pipes just makes me nervous as a DIY virgin. Maybe I do need to hire someone. We'll see.

What about using Polycell Deep Gap Polyfilla? It states that "for holes over 20mm deep, build up in layer to dry in between".

I will keep this post updated whatever the final result would be.

You might want to use minimal expanding foam.

https://www.toolstation.com/exact-gap-hand-held-expanding-foam/p66044

Oh, and it is not "exact". It does however expand less than some other brands.

@Burnerman is correct about spraying the area first. It helps adhesion and speeds up curing.

I would strongly recommend purchasing a can of foam cleaner as well. It will cost about a fiver but if you make a mess it will enable you to clean it up.

Oh.. and the majority of spray cans only work upside down. If you need to take a break until the next day. Hold the can up the normal way, pull the "trigger" to expel some of the propellant (but not the contents).

Last edited:
Thanks guys. Expanding foam it is then. Let's see. :)

Thanks guys. Expanding foam it is then. Let's see. :)

Put down polythene dust sheets though to catch the stuff that falls down though.

Any excess can be cut away a few hours later.

You can use plaster, a small amount to fill up the gap & cracks.

Plaster can be found in the painting section of your local hardware store.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back