How to finish a deck

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

After gaining advice from this forum I have almost completed my new deck over the Easter break. I have a couple more things to do before it's complete. I then want to finish it some how. It's treated softwood (tanilised I think) and wanted to know if using something like this http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/n...refview=search&ts=1206453275359&isSearch=true[/url]
would be suitable? I don't really want it just to silver as wood does.

thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your reply.
Can I ask why the oil is better? Is the other just a paint? I always thought oil was for hardwood (not that I am an expert!)

oil nourishes the wood and is a natural product, which stops the wood drying out and protects it. All the stains do are form a layer on the wood that peel off very quickly and are a nightmare to deal with afterwards

Sponsored Links
That Ronseal Decking Oil, is what our neighbors used last year and it really looks good, really improves the appearance.

I am sure they had a deal where you buy 2 and get one half price or buy 2 get one free. So worth shopping around

I would recommend using the Ronseal decking oil product or even the Decking seal which comes in "Tints" eg Pine. Over time the deck willgo grey due to the lignum in th ewood being degraded by sunlight. Some people like this mature look but if you dont then use one of the tints.

Oil need applying every year as it evaporates.

Dont use the heavy "paint"types as I believe that the colour can "walk off" in winter.

I thought the Oil would give it a slight colour too, is that not the case?

You can get clear and coloured oils. The "clear" one gives a slight deepening of the natural colour. The difference with the oils are that they soak in, rather than sit "on" the surface. Thus, they don't flake off again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back