How to fix leaking back to wall toilet?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a concealed cistern toilet that seems to be leaking slowly onto the kitchen artex ceiling.

Water was going out of the overflow after it was flushed, so I have adjusted the fill level, but I can't see how that would be causing the problem.

I am.thinking I will probably need to remove the toilet pan to see what's going on behind there.

As this has happened a few times over the years I am concerned that it may have damaged the joists.
As the bathroom floor is tiled the only way I can get access is to knock a hole in the artex ceiling below.

Is that the right thing to do?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
What access do you have to the concealed cistern ?
Pics of the installation would be useful.
Unless the ceiling is saturated ,it's unlikely joists are compromised.
Removing pan may give sight of the flooring at least.

20221030_131423.jpg

Sponsored Links
Sorry pic quality isn't the best, it's all tiled apart from.a few I can remove on top of the cistern

Pan out job Gary ,to see what's going on.
Have you had to destroy the top tiles , or was it made to come apart for access ? ( Didn't look like it)

Check for leaks using an inspection mirror and light. It could be that the rubber washer below the cistern is not tight enough.

Hi Terry, the tiles are just siliconed at the top on some ply that is partly cut away for access.
The last time it was leaking I had a plumber out who charged a fair amount.
They said it was a tricky job due to it being all tiled.
I can't turn the mains off due to a problem on the stoptap, but plumbers have managed it before.
I guess I can just tie the float valve up though to stop the water flow of I need to take the pan out.
I've googled it and looks like I may be able to use a silicone/adhesive to fill any gaps?
I've also got plumbers mait but never used that before.

Plumbing issues with concealed cisterns / all tiled in / no access ,are always a pain in the rear !!!.
Can you shine a torch down ,from top right hand side of cistern ,where the water supply pipe connects ,see what the floors like.

Plumbing issues with concealed cisterns / all tiled in / no access ,are always a pain in the rear !!!.
Can you shine a torch down ,from top right hand side of cistern ,where the water supply pipe connects ,see what the floors like.
Yes, the floor looked dry, felt slightly damp to touch on the cistern below where the pipe enters but I don't think enough to cause the problem.
20221030_122220.jpg

Is the large stain on the ceiling directly below the toilet ?
With that amount of staining I would have expected to have seen some sign of water on the floor.

Is the large stain on the ceiling directly below the toilet ?
With that amount of staining I would have expected to have seen some sign of water on the floor.
Yes it's directly below the toilet mate, the ceiling is going a bit moldy too, the tenant has been away for a couple of weeks so noticed it when he got back.

It's not dripping at all though as it did a few years ago when I got the plumber to sort it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back