How to fix this hole/crack

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Hoping for some ideas on the below. I've attached a couple of photos to help explain a bit better.
Currently doing up an old cottage.
There was a floor to ceiling crack along this internal corner between an existing lath and plaster wall (the wall with the door frame) and a newer stud wall which is solid and plasterboarded.
Over the years where the door as been shut/slammed etc this crack has appeared and well as you can see in the photo, the old plaster breaking away to leave a hole/gap in some parts.

I have scraped away/cut off any loose bits so what is left in the photos is still solid plaster.

What would be the best way going about repairing this? The issue is there is nothing behind to build onto. The laths from what I can see were cut or removed when the stud wall was built (probably leading to this issue developing).
As I mentioned the rest of the wall area is solid so I'd rather try and repair then take out a load and replace.

A couple of ideas we've had:
Fill the gap with expanding foam, cut it back flush, scrim tape over the top and then fill/repair using something like gyproc easy fill?
or
Cut some more away, fix battens behind by screwing through existing plaster, fit some plasterboard, fill over the top.

Thoughts appreciated!

Many thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back