How to fix timber to Steel post

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i'm new on here so hi.

So, I have to make a timber framed wall using 6x2. One end can plug and screw into the block work but the other needs to fix into a steel post. The drawings don't give any fixing methods etc

The post is a 6x6 steel post filled with foam. Whats the best way for me to go about this? I'm an apprentice working on my own tomorrow and don't want to look like a div in front of the client.

Sponsored Links
Yes, ask the main man

It depends on how thick this post is, as to whether a fixing will tap into it or if some sort of toggle is needed

Sponsored Links
1. You could shoot the fixings into the steel - if you are trained competent, and have a cartridge "gun". eg a Hilti.

2. Concrete nails will sometimes penetrate steel esp if a little pilot hole is drilled.

Both the above require full safety esp glasses.

3. Great claims made for construction adhesives as stand alone fixings - you must make the call.

4. Is the post free-standing or tight to a wall?

1. Drill 3 holes right the way through the metal post - top, middle and bottom

2. Drill the same holes through your 6x2 frame timber.

3. Attach the 6x2 to the metal post using nuts and bolts (and washers if needed).

4. Finish off your wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back