How to get a new smooth look in old houses ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Just about to move into a 1930's house.

The painted walls and ceiling are quite smooth but not smooth enough for us as we want it to feel like a new house.

I think it currently has lining paper on both ceiling and walls. So I have a few questions ?

1) To get the new look do we get the walls skimmed ?.
2) Do we need to remove the lining paper first or can we get them skimmed over.
3) If we remove lining paper do we need to use a steamer if so what kind. Do we purchase a domestic one from DIY store or do we hire an industrial one.

thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
has the lining paper been painted?

is the house empty?

the usual reason for applying lining paper is to hide blemishes.

take it off first and then decide if you can patch it or if you need to repair wall damage e.g. cracks before getting it skimmed. It is no use filling plaster if the brickwork is cracked (very common in houses built before May 1945)

Ditto,

You're pushing your luck skimming over lining paper - you could end up with an expensive pile of rubble in the middle of the floor! Strip it back and look what you have to work on. If the lumps and bumps are easily sorted with filler and sanding I'd go for a heavy lining paper (1400-1700), otherwise its a skim.

Strippers: I have hired industrial ones before but got a cheapo Earlex domestic steamer about a year ago - paid for itself in the first 2 days and theres no appreciable difference between this and the industrial ones apart from size of tank.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back