How to get rid of oxy acetylene bottles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Slightly delicate one, this....

Let's just say I have an elderly relative who has a pair of full size oxy-acetylene bottles that he (er...) shouldn't have. They're empty and he's had them for many years. At some point, I think I might be called upon to clear his garage...

I think they're both BOC bottles (not sure though). Is there a legitimate way of getting rid of them without getting me (or his widow, when the time comes!) into trouble?

Sponsored Links
I don't really know; is it like C02 bottles - rented?

Take them back to BOC and say you found them fly-tipped and are being a good citizen.

Sponsored Links
I'd call local welding supply shop. They must sell and exchange as see what they advise

Sell them on eBay!

No, only joking. I tried to sell an empty pub co2 bottle on eBay and got a threatening message from an organisation called "Pubgas" informing me that the cylinder didn't belong to me and that it was against the law to sell it and telling me how I should return it to it's rightful owner (it did indeed have "property of distillers group" stamped on it). I'd "bought" the bottle from a welding suppliers in Twickenham some years ago but now realise that he'd cheekily managed to open an account with a pub supplier and what I'd bought was the gas inside - I'm sure they'd have been delighted to know that I'd had their bottle to keep my £20 worth of gas in my garage for 15 years for my odd bits of welding (proper welding gas involves a prohibitively expensive rental agreement for DIY use). In the end I dropped it off at the tip where they reunite them with their rightful owners.

Somme great suggestions guys, thanks!

...and a few somewhat "off-the-wall" ones!

Slightly delicate one, this....

Let's just say I have an elderly relative who has a pair of full size oxy-acetylene bottles that he (er...) shouldn't have. They're empty and he's had them for many years. At some point, I think I might be called upon to clear his garage...

I think they're both BOC bottles (not sure though). Is there a legitimate way of getting rid of them without getting me (or his widow, when the time comes!) into trouble?
local council tip took mine

Put them at the end of your drive, with a sign on them saying "£10; enquire within" on each.
They'll soon be gone.

If that doesn't work, chain them up with a £2 bike lock and repeat. They'll definitely disappear pronto then.

Sponsored Links
Back