How to install Windows 7

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm doing a clean install of Windows 7 Pro 64 bit on a XP Pro PC from disks. Do I need to download a copy of all the drivers beforehand because I read somewhere that the Windows 7 installation will automatically find all the drivers as long as the PC is connected to the internet. Is that true? Does it ever fail? Is that the best way to go?

Sponsored Links
I'd download all drivers beforehand, windows will often install generic drivers rather than specific GPU ones etc.

Are you formatting the drive before installing? usually best to get rid of the old OS.

It will install enough to get it working, unless you have some crazy network card then don't worry about it. Once it's installed, then go and update the GFX card drivers for best performance and the other Microsoft Signed drivers that were installed with windows 7 are adequate - Win 7 will also update them from time to time.

Nozzle

I agree with Mattylad. Before doing anything, go into Device Manager and *write down* the make and model of all the devices (graphics card, network card etc etc) on your machine.

Then go to the PC/Motherboard manufacturers website and see if they have drivers available for Windows 7. If not, go to the device manufacturer's website and try there for drivers.

If you draw a blank on both places, and the hardware is "quite old" you may find that Vista drivers will be OK with Windows 7. Please bear in mind, however, that you will need the drivers appropriate to the version of the OS, 32 or 64 bit.

Sponsored Links
If this is your only computer make sure you have available the network card driver.

Most things will work with basic settings and drivers but without Internet access downloading missing drivers will be impossible.

If funds run to it get a replacement hard drive, particularly if existing one is a few years old.

Install Win7 onto new drive. Any major problems you can always fit original drive back in and have a working, assuming it is currently working, again with no hassles.

If you are installing Windows 7 from older discs that don't include SP1 and your Hard disc is a SATA drive, you will need to install the motherboard SATA drivers right at the beginning of the Windows 7 installation process.

It is not a problem if you install Windows 7 that includes SP1.

If you are installing Windows 7 from older discs that don't include SP1 and your Hard disc is a SATA drive, you will need to install the motherboard SATA drivers right at the beginning of the Windows 7 installation process.

That's nonsense! If you want to make it a RAID array, then you'll have to faff about with a different driver disc, but that's a different kettle of fish. The fact the controller is SATA is mostly transparent to windows. Hell, even XP supports SATA controller "out the box"

Nozzle

Not with XP Sp1 it doesn't.

I "slipstreamed" sp2 onto a new Xp1 install disc to get around this issue.

I have not heard of the SATA issue with Win 7 though.

I downloaded all the drivers and re-formatted the drive and did a clean install of Windows 7 Pro (and SP1). It all went fine, Windows 7 managed to find all the drivers itself, the ones it found were mostly the same ones I'd found so I didn't make any updates. The only one it had a problem with was the wireless lan PCI card but I managed to get that from the makers.

All good!

That's nonsense! If you want to make it a RAID array, then you'll have to faff about with a different driver disc, but that's a different kettle of fish. The fact the controller is SATA is mostly transparent to windows. Hell, even XP supports SATA controller "out the box"

Nozzle
:oops: Blast! I just remembered it was when I was doing an XP reinstallation and it would not see the HD unless motherboard drivers were loaded first I think hitting F6 early on.

If you install Win7 on a pc running XP which was probably 5 years old, the chances are it will find a suitable driver for everything. At worst it will boot up and you can look in device manager to see what it is missing and download them elsewhere.

It's easier to download if you bought a branded PC, e.g Dell / HP, if you miss anything important (network or graphics if anything) there are ways to work out what is needed

Sponsored Links
Back