how to join sleepers for raised bed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm planning on using these 1.8m x 95mm x 195mm planed chamfered "sleepers" from Wickes
https://www.wickes.co.uk/Green-Planed+Chamfered-Sleeper---95-x-195mm-x-1-8m/p/145249

...to build raised beds one and two thicknesses high.

Three questions please.
How do I join them length wise?
Are dowels a good idea to join top and bottom? Any tips for marking out?
Finally any alternatives to these special screws? Or is it just a matter of finding a cheaper supplier?
TIMIND150B.jpg

Sponsored Links
I used those type of screws when doing some edging in the back garden, think they were 10 for £10 but well worth the money!.

I used those type of screws when doing some edging in the back garden, think they were 10 for £10 but well worth the money!.
Found them for 45p each (150mm) if I get 50 - which is about what I'll need so will go for that.
How did you join them length wise? with the same screws at and angle?

Sponsored Links
i usually use a deck board to finish off the planter as this looks nice and also helps holds it all together.

i usually use a deck board to finish off the planter as this looks nice and also helps holds it all together.
You must use something else the surely to join the lengths together though right? Horizontal bracing? Vertical bracing? Spiked into the ground?

You must use something else the surely to join the lengths together though right? Horizontal bracing? Vertical bracing? Spiked into the ground?

yes ,the deck board just for appearance and a bit of added strength.
internal posts screws and even a bonding agent , but for a 2 sleeper high planter its not taking too much weight.

shoring up a excavated edge in a garden ect would require a lot more support.

When I have seen it done they use a brick bond pattern, staggering the joints

Thanks for the tip - 250 is really long - what depth into the timber do people aim for? 50mm? 100mm?

I was joining sleepers stood on end to make a wall so the screws go through the 200mm width of the first sleeper and fix 50mm into the second, the head just sinks below the surface on the first. Gives a proper fix. The length you need will depend on which orientation you're fixing them.

If you don't have one, consider an impact driver, makes screwing them together loads easier.

Not the same but I used scaffolding boards (225x38) and timberlok screws (100mm). I lined everything up and predrilled the holes so the screws would go through the centre of the thickness of the boards, and evenly spaced out three screws per corner. I used butt joints. It was sturdy enough that I didn't bother with stakes.

I've gone off the idea of using the 1.8m sleepers in my original post as they are too chunky for my garden. Instead I'm probably going to use joists that I can buy long enough so that they won't need to be joined.....it's delaying the inevitable though as the planters at the bottom of the garden will be much longer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back