How to lay flooring under fitted kichen cabinets?

ABN

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking to change the flooring under the fitted kitchen cabinets.

Going to remove the kick board and replace the plastic legs with more attractive metal ones. The cabinets are currently standing on laminate flooring as fitted to the rest of the kitchen which we want to change. I will fit a “kick board” against the rear legs to hide cables etc and to prevent any pets chewing them.

The only way I can think of laying the new flooring is to pre-assemble the whole area and then slide it underneath. This would mean having to remove all the front legs which doesn’t sound like a good idea as they would most likely topple forward, especially where heavy things like the fridge and cooker are.

Any suggestions for a safer more sensible way of doing it?

Sponsored Links
Are you fitting laminate to replace laminate?

I don't know how he did it but I have vinyl fitted by a fitter. He carried it under the legs somehow, presumably because it is flexible.

My unit feet are plastic and screw jack type so I guess it's possible to use a lump of wood to act as a jack when you loosen off a leg or pair of legs? If the units are empty, and screwed together then I think that a temporary removal of support in one area might be ok?

I had to shift some units about in my kitchen last year and also do up old motorbikes.
I have one of these
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/450KG-MOT...393789?hash=item568c33d1fd:g:HfoAAOSwmLlYALrg

And used it to support and lift units when I had to move them sideways then upwards back to the worktop height. Mine has a hex drive so I can use a socket set to raise it.

Some laminate needs to be raised to click in. Is there room?

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I laid ceramic tiles (in a previous house) under cabinets that were all fitted & fixed together. I used a car jack & then wedge wood in to support whilst I laid the tiles, a section at a time.

Yes replacing laminate with laminate.

There should be enough hight to raise it for the click but trying to do that at arms length under to cabinets would be physical challenging if not impossible.

I can see Ceramic tiles would be possible, awkward but doable. Unfortunately ceramic tiles are not an option at the moment.

Sponsored Links
If you can manage two strips in clicking, maybe cutting off the tongue on the inward ones might be an option. A dab of gripfill or silicone to hold them?

It's years since I laid laminate but some is wider than others, and the angle needed is less?
One that doesn't click might be best?

I do work with a stage, and we use a brand of flooring that is big sheets rather than planks, and is t&g but straight on. From memory they are Scandinavian and have an office in Maidenhead berks

Could you not remove the legs from one unit, fit the new floor, fit the new legs then do the next one.

The units will be fixed together so the ones either side should take the weight. Obviously empty the one your working under.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back