How to make a complete square/rectangle with galv conduit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've never used galv conduit before, and wondered if there is a trick to creating a complete square or rectangle using four angle boxes. Is there a way of getting the fourth corner joined up with a special reverse thread nipple or something, or is it just not possible?

I was thinking of using it as a cheap way of creating the frame for a fruit cage on my allotment, as plastic is just too bendy.

Sponsored Links
You are trying to create something with materials that are no made for the purpose.

Nobody needs a reverse thread on a galvanised conduit installation. Although you could cut one by hand using a die, but then you'll need a reverse thread bend for it to screw in to.

How about using a slip coupling in the middle of the fourth side?
Have some fun on Google, you'll find something…

I was thinking of using it as a cheap way of creating the frame for a fruit cage on my allotment, as plastic is just too bendy
Copper pipe with solder elbows?

Sponsored Links
I was thinking of using it as a cheap way of creating the frame for a fruit cage on my allotment, as plastic is just too bendy
Copper pipe with solder elbows?
.. or with compression fittings, which would make for ease of transport and possible dismantling etc. However, I do wonder whether any of these approaches would work out 'cheap' in comparisons with things made for the job. I've wasted a fair bit of money in my time by (incorrectly) believing that I could fabricate something out of components rather than buying the ready-made thing!

Kind Regards, John

RUNNING COUPLER.

Thread the conduit to a length just over a coupler. Thread a lock ring and coupler up the conduit. Place a nipple in the conduit box. But the conduit to the nipple. Thread coupler down over the nipple. Tighten lock ring against coupler. Galv spray or black paint over exposed thread left.

Thank you all. The running coupler is what I need, which after typing it into google makes me realize that it's no different to a 'normal' coupler, it's just that little bit of knowledge about how to use one with a lock nut that I was missing.

Fruit cages are well over £100, and with a 3.7m length of conduit for less than £6 plus a few boxes for £1.50 each, I can't see how I can lose, especially as I will be able to make mine to a completely bespoke size!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back