Bad experience of Screwfix Tower trunking - how's it work?

Even with the ends on, surely the lids flexible enough to tuck each end under, then clip in working along the lid, to remove pop off from the middle again

Sponsored Links
I doubt that this would work for lengths < 300 mm and certainly not < 150 mm. Anyway, I'll see when I add another cable...

And there's me been doing it wrong all these years, You put the U channel on the wall first, and then put the covering strip on top. By putting the U channel down first, you can then lay the wires in it, and push the cover in place as you go. You can start with a corner piece, place the channel into it to the stops, but you cut the cover, so that it starts from where the corner cover fits, not from where the channel starts.

This is screwfix's error, in that they've shown the trunking upside down, and this give the impression that you put the cover on the wall first. The way you can tell how to do it, is to look at the self adhesive trunking, and the blue adhesive shows you the side that will be clues to the wall.

And there's me been doing it wrong all these years.

In the photos in post #13, he makes a point of saying that it's upside down. So no I don't think he has made that mistake.

Sponsored Links
This is screwfix's error, in that they've shown the trunking upside down, and this give the impression that you put the cover on the wall first.
I've used these pointing in all sorts of directions

screenshot_1155.jpg

Have I been doing it wrong? Should I have assumed that because the photo on Screwfix's website is like that the screws are only meant to be used in that orientation?

I have never had any problems with them either. As has been said above, make sure you cut the covers about 5mm shorter than the length of the base, then you can just clip the tops on and you can take them off later also.

Make sure you are not mixing and matching different makes, which I am sure you are not.

The only thing I found is if the conduit you buy is the ones that is flat packed, in a roll, then you need a different cover on it sometimes. Depends on the make of the conduit though.

I've used these pointing in all sorts of directions

I did laugh when I saw your post BAS, beautifully done if I may say so, but the OP posted a picture where he was fitting the cover to the wall, and then pushing the channel down into the corner piece, hence why it wouldn't lock in to place. He's simply taken the picture from screwfix, and assumed that that's the way to fit it - easy mistake for a beginner.

I did laugh when I saw your post BAS, beautifully done if I may say so, but the OP posted a picture where he was fitting the cover to the wall, and then pushing the channel down into the corner piece, hence why it wouldn't lock in to place. He's simply taken the picture from screwfix, and assumed that that's the way to fit it - easy mistake for a beginner.
I may be mistaken but the OP said he was taking the picture from the wall side so we could see the clips were not engaging, must admit I am baffled as to why they don't, looks like normal trunking to me

the OP posted a picture where he was fitting the cover to the wall, and then pushing the channel down into the corner piece.

In post #13 ? Did you read the words in that post? The first line?

I still don't understand - even if there are problems as stated - why the cable cannot be installed before the cover and corners are fitted.

I may be mistaken but the OP said he was taking the picture from the wall side so we could see the clips were not engaging, must admit I am baffled as to why they don't, looks like normal trunking to me
Me too, if there the same make, the only time they dont go on is usually when you cut the lid too long and the tabs hit that, if anything there usually loose and fall off.

I still don't understand - even if there are problems as stated - why the cable cannot be installed before the cover and corners are fitted.
I think he can but with tees and angles, hes struggling as he has to push the trunking into the angles, or push the angles oto the casing, so at least 1 casing hinders pushing it onto the other casing
Which is not supposed to be the way

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back