How to make the thinnest external wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If you wanted to make the thinnest external wall possible that would still be 'standard construction' and meet all Bregs in terms of insulation etc how would you do it?
(regardless of cost)

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You'll end up with about 300mm or thereabouts no matter what combo of inner skin/inuslation you mess around with. You ain't gonna find a magic solution to save a load of space.

Sponsored Links
About 220mm with single brick and insulation/batten and plasterboard.

Or 195mm without the batten

A 100mm timber frame and external brick slips may be about 160mm

Agree with Fred.

I think what Woodleg is on about delves into the not so typical wall. This could end up being costly or problematic and even noisy.

A typical 105mm brick - 100mm dritherm - 100mm block wall provides the builder and the owner with an inexpensive construction that is solid, sound resisting, cold resisting, fire resisting and useable i.e. he has solid internal walls to fix to etc.

Woodshop hates 300mm wide walls. :p

Many thanks to all.

Noseall, good point, I had thought about heat insulation but not noise or the practicalities of trying to fix things to it!

This subject was touched upon in somebody elses thread so I thought it was worth exploring

thanks again

If you go down the route of timber frame (gives you the thinnest build-up), you can stick plywood sheathing on the inside rather than outside, then you have a solid surface to attach things to.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back