How to manoeuvre a washer on cushion floor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are due to have cushion floor laid.
Can anyone suggest the best way to return the washer to its original position afterwards? It's in a small room which has just a toilet and washer in it so there's not much room to manoeuvre.
I can imagine deep score marks where its been dragged... :eek:

Sponsored Links
a thin, flat sheet of metal or plastic if you want to slide it.

You could also fit it with a mobility trolley having wide rollers underneath.

Unless you buy one purpose-made you may find the appliance feet do not fit well, and you have to make up a base e.g. with ply.

If the feet on the washing machine are flat I use an off-cut of carpet. Cut it to size, turn it upside down (ie. pile down) and place washing machine on top.
It should now slide quite easily back into place and can be left under the machine if you wish for easy access. (I think ours is still under there somewhere!!!)
If you haven't got an off-cut just ask the place where you bought the vinyl.

when i worked for HP we had a "floor protector" which was a sheet of plastic (about 5mm thick) to slide under the front of the m/c and then pull it out on the floor protector.

To make it easier to slide we used Mr sheen on one side.

Before the floor protectors sometimes we used a couple of big squirts of washing up liquid.

The only reall problem occurs if the m/c sits still too long, it then digs in to the flooring, when you pull it out it rips the floor (only ever did that once)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the tips everyone.
The fitter is due this morning - then it's up to my other half to decide which suggestion to choose.
Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back