How to part arm if new keypad at bottom of stairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How would you advise me I live in upstairs flat with keypad at the only door at the bottom of the stairs so that’s great when entering or exiting but what about part arming at night, my last system had the keypad built in to the panel, this was a CEF self install by me around 25 years back. So roll on to today’s system how would you do it, photos are looking down to front door and landing/hall at top, panel will be behind that door in cupboard, asking as roughing out new system for cable if needed before I put my skirtings and facings and new ceiling back on ? 9638A0D7-F965-4C20-99FC-269B78FFE661.jpeg C7B6D641-F1C0-496B-A21F-8C3317DDA415.jpeg

Sponsored Links
My system uses a key fob.
Have you already got a system?
No system yet will be a smart one of some sort, I am only starting to rough out a few zones while I have stuff stripped out and wondered what was current. I was thinking of either another keypad at the hall or getting a panel with built in keypad, but don’t know what to do so posting here.
Thanks

How do you need the alarm to work?

Ie shared users?

For example you could have an alarm separated out for other users etc etc.

Sponsored Links
Only family so 3 users including me, also looking for notifications on mobile phone if activated and that’s about it,

So will have 1 door contact 1 pir at top of stairs pointing down to cover door and 3 pir covering back of house and box on front wall

I'm lost too.

Are you providing the alarm to all residents of the block? Or just the family at the top of the stairs?

Just me in one upstairs flat with the main door on the side of the house, only posted the photo to show type of flat, has its own access door

if they aren't sharing the alarm then everything should be focussed on your flat.

So the front door is exclusive to your flat? It's on the ground floor, and the door at the top is just a second door?
You want to be able to arm/disarm the alarm without going down stairs?

I live in a typical semi- so my alarm covers living room/dinning room/ kitchen and built in garage on PIR. Front and back doors have hall effect switches.
Alarm on hall wall.
In theory I can wander about in the hall, with the alarm set, so long as the living room door is closed over. I can't open the front door.

I can use the wall panel but use key fobs like a car.
When I go out, I press the button just before locking the door, as the alarm gives 30 secs and may say "unable to set" - saving me from unlocking again.
When I go upstairs I just use the remote and can use it before coming down.

Last edited:
Firstly do you have permissions to change the alarm system and is that alarm system in the property yours only or accessed by all the residents?

For example its possible to have an alarm and divide it up so it works as separate alarms systems for all the different flats, but that is something the building owner would look at?

As for access and setting the alarm when out or when in really depends on what your allowed to change.

So if its only for the flat its self door contact on the door and sensors in the rooms and keypad near the door, but then it depends on which sensors you go past to get to bed on a night for the part set.

as for the hallway and the door out that is a seperate issue, do not know the layout or what permissions you have, if it was a shared alarm the hallway would be a common area but thats not the case here.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back