how to patch loose plaster (falling off)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I was going to attempt to skim a small room in a house we've recently bought. After taking the radiator off the wall and removing the skirting plaster began falling off from the brickwork at the bottom of the wall behind where the radiator sits. I also noticed that its been skimmed before by the looks of it but without taking the radiator off the wall !! This then led to me noticing that it could be artex on the wall behind (see pics ) not sure if its artex or wallpaper ?

What do you think the best course of action would be ? It seems pretty sound other than the bottom part that's already come away however I'm sure if I tried I could hack the rest of it off I'm just worried about the asbestos risk ! ( and the fact I did this with the ceiling which turned the whole house black ).

Could it be filled then skimmed or would it be best to take it back to brick and dot and dab plasterboard?
15555079832525046313706151066407.jpg

Attachments

• 155550806118181811650374765663.jpg
    155550806118181811650374765663.jpg
    345.1 KB · Views: 156
Sponsored Links
No pro but a realist and you'll be asking for trouble to patch that up I'd say....

Can’t see any artex in the pic? You could fill the deep missing section with bonding/hardwall then skim the whole area with multifinish and try and feather/blend it out around the perimeter. But as above, you’re unlikely to get it perfect doing it that way. Other options probably involve lining paper (after filling obviously) or getting the wall reskimmed.

I was told the plaster will always come off the wall eventually in the area behind radiator due to bonding being heated up and detach from bricks. If I were you, I'd hack off lose plaster, control suction with water, bonding, skim, lining paper and paint over. Hopefully lining paper will hold it forever until next time you remove the radiator.

Sponsored Links
Theres also a power cable in the wall behind the rad. This is not very clever, in fact quite dangerous. Where does it run to ? a light switch ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back