How to prep and paint previously painted garden fence?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have garden fence that is made of rough sawn timber and previously painted with creocote.

The fence is need of repainting but has a lot of grime and that green algea/mould stuff on it near the bottom.

Its difficult to sand down becuase of the previous fence treatment and the wood being rough sawn.

Whats the best way to clean/prep the fence before giving it another lick of creocote?

Note i dont have one of them powerwashers to hose down the fence so need the next best tip/advice.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Big wire brush and a bucket of soapy water is the only way I know if not doing it with a power washer. A bit of bleach is even better but can't use too much bleach if plants are next to the fence as it may well kill them. Hope there's not too many fences for you to do!

You might want to read this before using proper creosote. http://www.hse.gov.uk/biocides/copr/creosote.htm Creosote will also kill plants and is quite nasty stuff for you as well.

A big wire brush is the alternative but extremely hard work especially if you have a lot of panels. Even harder work if those panels are not removable. I would suggest you get a power washer because, that by far and away, is the easiest way to do them.

Sponsored Links
Crecote (as per op) and creosote are 2 different things.

Coal tar creosote is the best stuff for preserving wood, but is only available to 'professional users' in a minimum of 20l.

Creocote/creoseal etc are trade names of oil based stains, and are available in smaller quantities

Often the names are mixed up, even some suppliers struggle!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back