How to protect external cable

Hence my question...
there are many thousands of metres of SWA clipped to outside walls without any additional protection. Are you suggesting they should all have BT galvanized style cover?
Not at all - but my point was that you said the armour protects the cable - but if the outer sheath gets damaged before reaching the armour, the cable is still bollloxed.

I'm not saying the cable needs to protected.

Sponsored Links
Just in case you don't understand my comment - Main equipotential bonding is what it was called the last time I went to school.
I know what main equipotential bonding is - it is what is now known as main protective bonding. Earth bonding I don't understand, however, as Earthing and bonding are completely different things.

Sponsored Links
I know what main equipotential bonding is - it is what is now known as main protective bonding. Earth bonding I don't understand, however, as Earthing and bonding are completely different things.
Well I'm not going to bond the phase to the water pipes am I?

.... Earth bonding I don't understand, however, as Earthing and bonding are completely different things.
The intent/purpose is certainly different, and the conductor sizes will generally be different but, beyond that, the difference is almost semantic - since you can't 'bond something' without connecting it electrically to the installation's earth, and nor can you 'earth' something (to the installation's earth) without effectively 'bonding' it electrically to any extraneous-c-ps which are themselves 'bonded'.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back