How to re-grout exterior tile

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

In the front of our old building we have deocrative tiles where the ground, or whatever was holding the tiles together has come making some tiles loose.

What is the easiest way to regrout and with what materials? Do I use standard bathroom grout or cement? Any premade material I can use or do I have to mix cement/grout?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_7174.JPG
    IMG_7174.JPG
    138.2 KB · Views: 101
Sponsored Links
Grout is for filling the gaps between individual tiles, not securing the tiles into place.
If tiles are loose, the only solution is to remove them, clean the old adhesive/cement away and fix with new adhesive. Then apply grout afterwards.

Your tiles seem to be Edwardian - some neighbour's in the street will probably have the same on their entry paths. Check with them for accounts of any repairs that they might have made.

Usually, the reason the grout begins to degrade is due to movement in or on the backing base.
Is there side room for expansion?
IOW's the tiles are losing their bonding adhesion to the backing.
The backing might be a thin layer of sand and cement.
And the traditional grout and adhesive was a sand & cement slurry.

Take up some of the loose tiles and post pics of their backs, and the base backing.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Hi,

There were only a few loose tiles (on the end) it's mostly the grout between tiles that was blown away when I power washed them, so while one or two tiles I have to re-glue the rest I should be able to just fill in between.

Other maisonettes on the block also have the same tiles, some are in even worst condition, some have been completely removed, I can ask but do not think others have done much to preserve.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back