How to Remove Horrendous Mould Stain Before Staining?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How on Earth can I get rid of this?!

58000_57636_30371_27535778_thumb.jpg

Mould deep into the grain?
58000_57636_30372_45106061_thumb.jpg

58000_57636_30373_60423728_thumb.jpg

Mould even in end-grain of mitres!

Customer incorrectly applied internal Ronseal varnish to outside of door! Am looking at rubbing all varnish off, back to bare wood, then apply Sikkens two-part stain and filter 7.

Any suggestions of how to get mould stain out of wood grain first? Am applying a Polycell anti-mould wash and hope for dry weather leading and a couple more washes up to doing the actual job. But wonder how deep the stain goes!

Wood is meant to be white oak colour!

Thanks,
Neil

Sponsored Links
It would be worth your while trying Oxalic Acid This is a mild bleaching solution taht has a good track record for this type of application.

Hope this helps

Ian McAslan

its never going to look good, paint or new doors, be a lot quicker as well.

I disagree , if the doors are protected using a dark microporous exterior coating the doors will last for many years before another thin coat may be required. New doors....I don't think so!

Sponsored Links
they look like poor quality hardwood and will have a very short life and not worth spending money on

Ian. Thanks for the suggestion of Oxalic acid. Will give this a try :)

It's only these local areas of staining that I fear for - possibly ruining the rest of the appearance of the door once correctly sanded back, stained and protected.

Cheers,
Neil

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back