How to remove metal threshold that joins laminated floors

suj

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was trying to replace a damaged laminated floor piece (as shown in the image). But Looks like I am getting in to a bigger mess as I am unable to remove this metal threshold that holds laminated floors together. Please help. Thanks.

NB. Looks like a "Dual grip" type metal threshold!

Sponsored Links
because they are no visual retaining screws, it is likely these are the type that come in two parts, that snap in to each other, so gently prise the plate upwards.

• Thanks
Reactions: suj
Cut out the damaged board near the strip which will allow better access.

• Thanks
Sponsored Links
Yes..it was a real disaster!!. I was trying to replace one damaged floor board, but while removing this nasty threshold I ended up damaging another 5. But worst part was after that. I am unable to find same laminated floor colour now. Checked B&Q, Homebase, Wicks, B&M, Topps Tiles and many online stores. None have matching colour. In B&Q they told it might be some Beech colour which don't have now. In Homebase and Topp Tiles thinks its some Maple shade and no more available.

Looks like I will end up buying 5 packs to replace whole kitchen & hall now.

Colour sample a I am looking is attached. Any idea where I can find them

Length - 1285mm (different length is fine)
Width - 195 mm ( should be the same as it need to be in sync with existing floor)
Thickness - 8mm hope I will be able to manage with 7 mm as well[/img]

It would near impossible to infrom you of the colour of the planks by pictures. But It will not only be colour matching that will be your problem, also plank matching as they do not all have the same snap-in locking system.
I suggest, save your time trying to source the identical product, as the likelihood is you will not find it. So solution would be to replace completely.

• Thanks
Thanks.

Not sure when its bought, surely more than 6 years back.

What I could find from it is..
- tongue & groove fitting system
- Number in one of the panel says "E 00 09 09 05 02" - Is it means 2002? not sure..
- Measurement Width 194 mm (without tongue), Length - 1293 mm & thickness 8mm (or 9mm)
- It got a dark chocolate colour coating in the back side
- Looks like a light beech colour with 3 band design

Could mean anything, depends on how the manufacturer identified them.
I would guess it could indicate they came off the production line on the 9th May 2002, possibly at 9 minutes past midnight. But that would be a pure stab in the dark.
To be honest, if I were you, I would not waste my time trying to source this product, I doubt you will ever come across it again. Cut your losses, save your time and frustration and replace for new.

• Thanks
Good news is I managed to find a spare board from loft. I added some pictures of it. I am not keen to replace full kitchen & hall.

Length - 1293 mm (+4 with teeth)
Width - 195 mm (+4 with teeth)
Thickness - 9 mm

Already visited & checked unsuccessfully in following shops..

B&Q
Homebase
Wicks
ToppTiles
Carpet Right
B&M

Any other laminate floor shops?

I know the easier option is to replace whole area, But I am bit reluctant to do that as I have to remove side trims for that, also cost.
Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back