How to remove old toilet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I need to replace this toilet which appears to be attached to cast iron soil down pipe and encased in some sort of cast iron enclosure where it's connected.

Is there a specific way to do this? Should it just be hacked off? See pic

Attachments

• 16557403921165689321764176714850.jpg
    16557403921165689321764176714850.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 82
Sponsored Links
Hi, what type of WC do you intend to replace it with?
Thats an "S"-trap WC, they are still widely available but most modern WC's are "P"-traps.
Best not to smash anything until you know what you intend - lifting the floor board on the the skirting side will help you see how the CI soil pipe drops or bends below the floor?
Why not pic and post whats down there? And a pic showing more context of the whole WC?
Do you have a 9" angle grinder?
Do you know what the final floor covering will be - tile, sheet vinyl etc?
Does your mains house isolator work easy?

Sponsored Links
You may be able to fit one of these but I would consult an experienced plumber to make sure the seal was good.
A standard HO outlet pan would be hgalf across the room with your set up.

Get a screwdriver and check what that moulded seal around the pan spigot is made of, is it soft or is it hard cement? That will determine what approach may be required.

I took in all your suggestions, but in the end took and angle grinder to it. It's basically a clay encasement with a steel outer.

What's happened to this post? I was involved in something similar back in 2000 and riving around with the top of the cast cracked the salt glaze connection at the bottom :mad:
Wondering how this one went?
Eventually I replaced the cast with plastic, but thankfully access wasn't bad at all.
John :)

What's happened to this post? I was involved in something similar back in 2000 and riving around with the top of the cast cracked the salt glaze connection at the bottom :mad:
Wondering how this one went?
Eventually I replaced the cast with plastic, but thankfully access wasn't bad at all.
John :)
Another post put up saying the outlet is too far from wall . I still maintain there is a lead pipe under the floor ( going into a cast svp ) but there you go:cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back