How to remove vanity unit panel?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I feel a bit stupid having to ask this question but here goes ...

A bathroom vanity unit has back and bottom panels with captive crosshead screws (circled in yellow in attached photo) that can be turned between ½ and ¾ of one revolution and about halfway they feel quite loose but no matter how much or little I turn them the panels cannot be removed.

There is a slight gap between the screw at top right and the end panel on its right, large enough for a piece of paper to fit through, however the paper always hits an obstruction level with the screw as I turn it fully one way then the other.

What are these fixings called and how do I undo them?

Attachments

• vanity_unit_panels.jpg
    vanity_unit_panels.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 336
Sponsored Links
They are called cam lock screws and they grip onto a peg that is fixed into the other wall of the cabinet.
What are you trying to do.....do you want to remove the back panel?
John :)

Sorry - should have read the title :sleep:
Anyway, with this system the side panels have pegs that engage with those cam locks, so theoretically releasing the cam locks 1/4 turn should allow the sides to push out.....hardly ideal with the unit in place!
Without dismantling the unit I guess there will be some damage to the rear panel - which could actually be renewed later.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies. I take it the back panel is not meant to be removed when basin is on top! Vanity and basin need to be moved anyway, unfortunately hot water isolation valve does not turn water off completely.

Yep, the glory of flat pack assemblies! Good luck with your project - with the vanity unit separated maybe you could consider converting that back panel to a removable one.....not too difficult with a bit of thought.

When I needed to do the same I used a jig saw to cut a big hole in the back, with a 2" perimeter .
This allows access to the wall and fittings. Then cut a bit of thin white mdf to size and Velcro to the back, having cut suitable neat holes.

If you manage to take it apart eventually, you will probably see a few dowels fitted as well. These units are designed to be assembled out of situ so you can very rarely take separate panels off without a great deal of effort and frustration.

It's also possible that whoever assembled the unit used glue as well. You really need to take the unit out, undo the cams, and then wack the panels sideways to separate them. Then you can take the pins and dowels out from the rear of the panels, and reassemble it. If you try to remove the back panel with the unit in place, you'll do a lot of damage to the unit itself, so not advisable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back