How to renew phone cable in flat?

zzz

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The phone cable that enters my flat (from a locked cupboard down the communal hallway) runs along the ceiling of the hallway, then through a hole in my door frame, and along my ceiling etc to the master socket. It's caked in old gloss paint, really hideous. I'm renovating and want to replace the internal length with a clean new one.

My question is - can I just snip the current wire inside my property and somehow connect up a new one by reconnecting the individual little wires? Or do I need to go to the source and run an unbroken new length from the cupboard in our communal hallway (then have to find someone to unlock it)? Or am I not allowed to even touch the phone line before it enters my property - or even inside?!

Also, a bonus question - I'll be having my front door replaced with a fire door. I very much doubt I'd be allowed to drill a hole in its frame for the phone cable. How do I then run the cable into my flat with the new door??

Cheers

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Why don't you just take the phone cable on the outside wall of your flat down the wall and into the back of your master socket , removing the cable from your flat entirely and encase it in semi circle conduit to disguise it?

Why wasn't this done when the master socket was installed?

If only.. the master socket is something that's screwed to wooden panelling that forms the side of the staircase (maisonette flat, late 60s build). It's not on the "outside wall" of the flat. But that is an idea - to shorten the cable in the flat and create a master socket just inside the front door. An issue is that I have no power socket for the router anywhere near the front entrance, but I could run a new ADSL cable to it from the master socket.

Still don't know how to get it inside once I have a new fire door installed.

And can I create a new master socket myself or do I have to get BT involved?

Thanks

You could still bring it in through your wall rather than through the door frame then run it across the top of your skirting board which will hide it better

You are supposed to get bt involved but in reality ...

Is there not a power socket on the outside wall you could put the master socket near and just bring the cable through the wall into the back of the master socket ?

Sponsored Links
Yes, in fact broadband is the only thing I use my phone line for! Why, how does that affect things?

I do like the idea of cutting the current manky cable right down and creating a new master socket just by the door - and then running a nice new ADSL cable somehow to the router (but haven't quite figured the most concealed way, maybe could run most of it under the staircase carpet as having that replaced - the router lives halfway up the stairs on a landing).

Yes, in fact broadband is the only thing I use my phone line for! Why, how does that affect things?

I do like the idea of cutting the current manky cable right down and creating a new master socket just by the door - and then running a nice new ADSL cable somehow to the router (but haven't quite figured the most concealed way, maybe could run most of it under the staircase carpet as having that replaced - the router lives halfway up the stairs on a landing).

That would work , if you tack the cable against the carpet gripper that will hide it nicely

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back