How to repair chipped asbestos garage roof tile

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

A tree on my land as fallen down and damaged a neighbours garage roof tile.

The roof remains watertight and the issue seems minimal but they insisting on a repair.

Can anyone with experience on this matter offer any insight on how best to repair this ?

Lift the damaged tle and overclad ?

Thank you in advance for any advise you can offer

Attachments

• PHOTO-2021-05-22-18-57-32.jpg
    PHOTO-2021-05-22-18-57-32.jpg
    443.8 KB · Views: 128
Sponsored Links
Lift the damaged tle and overclad ?

Thank you in advance for any advise you can offer

That is asbestos cement. Handling it needs special precautions and I doubt you would be able to source any replacements. The best I could suggest, is to see if the profile of some other corrugated sheet would slide under it for support, then add a sand / cement with some reinforcing fibre mixed in, as a patch. Other than that, advise your house insurance company and see what they advise, because the only proper way to repair it, would be to replace the entire roof.

https://www.hse.gov.uk/asbestos/essentials/cement.htm

Sponsored Links
I had the same sort of damage on a garage roof. I pulled out the wall plate nail and slipped a square of flat ss under the broken sheet which was long enough to shed water into the gutter..that was 20years ago and still still there serving the present owners.

Clear PVC corrugated sheeting in the same profile. You would only need a cut down section.
Remove bolts from around the area, slide your pvc under. Mark through the bolt holes with a Sharpie, remove pvc, drill holes, refit pvc, bolts back in.
You could just drill straight through the existing holes into the pvc but then you risk drilling the edge of the asbestos sheets.
Don't walk on the roof!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back