How to repair crack in micromarble fireplace backpanel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We have a fireplace around a gas fire and the white micromarble back panel now has a thin crack that starts at the corner of the cutout for the fire and runs for about 15 cms into the back panel. The panel is plain white with only light speckles in it so it's not like the crack is hidden in the noise of marble veins.

I'm trying to understand what the best options are for (a) filling in the crack cosmetically and, (b) give the panel structural integrity to prevent the crack from spreading.

I've attached a photo of the crack for info.

I'd gratefully appreciate any advice or pointers to ask elsewhere if there's somewhere more appropriate.

Many thanks

Attachments

• fireplace_crack.jpg
    fireplace_crack.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 66
Sponsored Links
I'm not convinced that anything will ever disguise the crack.
It's too narrow for filler, and trying to disguise it with paint would require an expert paint matching.
You'd probably still see any attempted paint disguise in the end.
The only possibility I can see is to paint the whole, or replace it. And I can't see that painting would be a simple job.
I don't think the structural integrity of the panel is affected because it has no structural purpose. It's purely cosmetic.

Sponsored Links
Thanks both. Yeah - it's quite fine. We've got some reasonably color matched silicone and pushed that in which helps digsuise it, so it's not as dark as the plain crack. I guess we'll just have to make do with it and hope it doesn't propagate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back