How to replace a Hushflow washer on a dual-flush toilet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. Two years ago, I had water dripping into the toilet pan which the plumber fixed by replacing the washer (a 1.25” Hushflow washer).

It's happened again and I want to fix it myself given that the plumber did it quickly and without tools. I've got the new washer but just can't figure out where it goes. The toilet is dual flush and 'built in'. Hopefully the attached pic is clear enough.

Would someone walk me through the procedure please? My grateful thanks in advance.
washer.jpg

Sponsored Links
Here's a pic of the top view. Can someone tell me where the washer actually goes as I'm having trouble figuring it out.
Also, how does the plastic fitting come apart - twist, pull etc?
My thanks to anyone able to assist.
top view.jpg

I've established that it's the ballvalve attached to the inlet hose that needs a new washer. Can anyone tell if my one is push-on or screw-on (I suspect push)?

And is there a knack to disconnecting it from the hose? I can't do it but then I'm wary of using too much force...
push or screw.jpg

Sponsored Links
You have what looks like a push fit Iso Valve on the feed pipe. Turn the Grey/Blue lever 90deg to the valve to turn the feed off to the fill valve.

You then need to grip the Iso valve and using a plain screwdriver push the collet into the iso valve. This should release the grip of the push fitting on the inlet pipe of the fill valve. Keeping the collet pressed in, pull the feed pipe and iso valve off the fill valve inlet pipe.

81508-e3785d49a39bfb2469287bbe703f3a74.jpg

Hello Rob and thank you very much for that. Am I pushing in the right place (red line on attached pic)? It doesn't seem right given that the collet is already hard up to the valve (green line)...
closeup.jpg

Last edited:
Ah, that's the clarification I needed. Job done. Thank you so very much, Rob, I really appreciate it.

To replace a Hushflow washer on a dual-flush toilet, follow these steps:

1. Turn off the water supply: Locate the shut-off valve near the base of the toilet and turn it clockwise to shut off the water supply.
  2. Flush the toilet: Flush the toilet to drain the remaining water from the tank.
  3. Remove the tank lid: Lift the tank lid and set it aside in a safe place.
  4. Identify the flush valve: Locate the flush valve, which is usually located in the center of the tank. It connects to the flush button or lever.
  5. Remove the flush valve: Depending on the specific design of your dual-flush toilet, you may need to unscrew the flush valve assembly or lift it out to access the Hushflow washer.
  6. Replace the Hushflow washer: Take out the old Hushflow washer and replace it with a new one. Make sure the new washer is compatible with your dual-flush toilet model.
  7. Reassemble the flush valve: Put the flush valve back in place and secure it according to the manufacturer's instructions.
  8. Turn on the water supply: Turn the water supply valve counterclockwise to restore the water flow to the toilet.
  9. Test the flush: Flush the toilet to ensure that the new Hushflow washer is functioning properly.
By following these steps, you can replace the Hushflow washer on your dual-flush toilet, ensuring efficient water usage in compliance with USA water conservation standards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back