HOW TO REPLACE THE AUTOMATIC VALVE FOR CENTRAL HEATING

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a problem with the central heating in which the pump was broken, I have replaced this and have set the valve to manual and the heating is fine. I know the valve has gone and want to replace it (i am refering to the silver box which I'm told is the automated valve). It this tricky? what is involved in replacing this?

Sponsored Links
Gone? Go after it!

It's probably the motor in the head which has "gone". If the head has a pimple on its top you're in luck. If the head is old like 20 years or so then get a new head. But You can't change the head if the top of the head is dead flat . Heads cost £30 - 60 depending on where you go .

Alternative is to fit a new motor inside the head (Wickes, B&Q, £10-15). Easier if you undo the head first if you can, but possible in situ if the access is Ok.

£10-£15? ha! I just paid £22 for just a motor last week with 30% trade discount. I think I'll start shopping at B&Q. Oh, and don't you just love those installers who place the valve so close to the cylinder that you're smallest flathead is still too big to undo the one screw the case is held on by.

You were ripped off Artful, my local private supply shop sold me one for £9.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back