How to run power cable outside

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I am looking to fit a couple of pir controlled led security lights and an outside socket and have the switches already fitted on an outside wall, so I was thinking plastic conduit and twin & e inside or exterior cable, what do you recommend?
Thanks

Ps the supply will exit wall at around 3m height and run horizontally to lights, the socket will also exit at same height then drop to ground level

Sponsored Links
However you do it it will look cack to some extent. Plastic conduit will be the most cack. The least is a type of cable not really suitable for DIY use.

Best of a bad job would be TRS (tough rubber sheathed) cable, and do your best to have the runs straight, the bends 90° etc.

... have the switches already fitted on an outside wall
What circuit are they on?

What sort of switches?

How are they wired?

However you do it it will look cack to some extent. Plastic conduit will be the most cack. The least is a type of cable not really suitable for DIY use.

Best of a bad job would be TRS (tough rubber sheathed) cable, and do your best to have the runs straight, the bends 90° etc.

What circuit are they on?

What sort of switches?

How are they wired?
Ring main from loft and I extended it down into cupboard in bedroom to keep the ring as only a server plugged in up their on its own mcb in the cu with a switched fused spur and 20a switch in cupboard

The lights- if the whole job is at 3m then PVC flex clipped neatly to the wall will do quite nicely, only need 0.75 mm or 1mm for the load from LEDs.
The socket- since the cable is coming down to ground level some mechanical protection would be wise. SWA would be good but it isn't that easy to work with (you'll need proper glands and a fair bit of space to work with). MICC would be lovely but def not for the beginner.
T & E in conduit is a total pain- fine in straight bits but a mare if you have any bends or boxes.

Sponsored Links
Dunno about "fine". With horizontal runs you risk it sagging, and terminating it into lights is usually a no-go.

Dunno about "fine". With horizontal runs you risk it sagging, and terminating it into lights is usually a no-go.
Fair call on the horizontals, if the pointing is good then clipping it in a bed can be a good cheat.
All the outside lights I've ever bought have been glanded for round flex- tho watch out for cheap LED ones which come with half a metre of flex and zero space in the body to reterminate if you need a longer run (yes you can do them but a very fiddly PITA)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back